Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three things, my friend. Firstly it would help if you addressed the questions about whether you're using SR and setting up the lens correctly before you shoot. Secondly, with the M50 f1.4 you can only use this effectively in manual mode. Having set the aperture on the lens, you have to use the green button to let the camera choose an appropriate shutter speed. Using it in any other mode will give you wide open apertures and hence terrible pictures. Thirdly, if you insist on using Av mode, while you may think you're getting f16 or f22 you're really getting f1.4 because, as I've said, Av mode will always shoot with the lens wide open. (And in manual mode I'd suggest you'll get sharper results between f5.6 to f11, the sweet spot for this lens).
I really encourage you to read the tutorial on this forum on shooting with manual lenses.

02-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Firstly it would help if you addressed the questions about whether you're using SR and setting up the lens correctly before you shoot.
I've been trying both with and without SR.

Secondly, with the M50 f1.4 you can only use this effectively in manual mode. Having set the aperture on the lens, you have to use the green button to let the camera choose an appropriate shutter speed. Using it in any other mode will give you wide open apertures and hence terrible pictures. Thirdly, if you insist on using Av mode, while you may think you're getting f16 or f22 you're really getting f1.4 because, as I've said, Av mode will always shoot with the lens wide open. (And in manual mode I'd suggest you'll get sharper results between f5.6 to f11, the sweet spot for this lens).
thanks for this clarification. I actually did not know this.
Nonetheless as I said the problem occurs even using M mode properly (or setting it as properly as I could find in different guides) and green button to set the shutter speed.
I will try an intermediate aperture and see if it gets better.

I really encourage you to read the tutorial on this forum on shooting with manual lenses.
I'll definetely do that with more attention
02-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And here's a start to your journey with M lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html
02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by chutonio Quote

It gives me lovely results in dim light, sharp and vivid.
But when I use it outside in typical sunlight condition everything looks like I'm taking pictures through boiling water.
Few things; the pictures I posted were taken to be as much as I can photographer's dumbproof:

• aperture down to f16, f22 and infinite focus to avoid DoF issues and bad focusing by the user
  • In other cases I've been trying limiting undesired scattered light by polarizing filters and lens hood
  • ISO 200
Unluckily I didn't have the opportunity to test the lens in other bodies which is something I need to do before my K-x warranty expires.

Indeed, nothing seems to be focused but it is infinite
do NOT shoot @ f16-22 unless you need it for long exposure
try using f8 and try something not at infinity for test(like above have said 5.6-11 are the best)
your hood might not be long enough, try use your hand to shade the side where the sun shines
try without polarizer for now
oh and ANY auto(Av,Tv,Sv,P) mode will not stop down your lens, you have to use Manual(M) mode and meter via green bottom

ps. it would be nice if you don't rip the exif data off those test shots, it can really help us find out what went wrong

Last edited by OmegaKulu; 02-13-2011 at 04:46 PM.
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
Inactive Account

He should be able to get sharp results at All apertures, without a hood.

Index of /Photos/50mmShootout/PentaxA50mmf14

These are all at infinity and it is an A version of the lens but my experience with the M50 is the same.

02-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

m lenses i would suggest the following

1. buy a split prism screen for focussing (this will help with any MF lens)
2.0 stop using anything except M mode, set your aperture and press the green button to get the correct shutter speed. outside of m mode regardless of what you set aperture at it will be wide open - the exception is an m42 that has a manual aperture switch or is even older and allows you to set aperture - of course it will be tough to focus at f 11 then)
3 make sure the SR is set for the right focal length - setting it for 200 and then using a 28 will cause no end of issues

so to summarize unless you have an A lens mounted
set aperture
focus
press green button to set shutter

and make sure when you put lens on you adjust sr to match
02-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Those pictures in the OP are caused by a seriously damaged lens, not poor technique. Usually I'm the first to blame the user rather than the tool, but in this case I think it's the tool.

02-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

so to summarize unless you have an A lens mounted
set aperture
focus
press green button to set shutter

and make sure when you put lens on you adjust sr to match
And don't shoot until you hear that beep!
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Here are some taken with an M50 f1.4 I had. Various apertures, as needed for proper exposure, with a K7 (before I sold it too).

Index of /Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/M50f14

02-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The photos look soft. So many possibilities to consider: maybe focus error, lens element fogging, element separation, element misaligned, fungus, diffraction, hand shake, lens was opened up for repair previously, crap filter in front, etc.
02-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Couple of other things to check. Have you enabled "Using aperture ring" in the Custom menu? You must have this enabled to use manual lenses. Also, have you tried shooting with the camera on a tripod (with SR off) or on a bean bag on a table top, car roof etc? To me your photos look like the camera was unstable.
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Couple of other things to check. Have you enabled "Using aperture ring" in the Custom menu? You must have this enabled to use manual lenses. Also, have you tried shooting with the camera on a tripod (with SR off) or on a bean bag on a table top, car roof etc? To me your photos look like the camera was unstable.
Just to point something out, none of my cameras would even take a photo if "use aperture ring" was not set to permitted. It's worth making sure of though.

I'm more keyed in on his first shot with most of my comments. He later states he used f16 or f22 at infinity (unless I read something wrong). SOMETHING should be in focus on that shot. I'm not seeing anything I would associate with camera shake, unless the photographer was having an epileptic episode (no offense meant to those who may suffer with that affliction). Even if wide open, Something should be sharp or close to it. Now if he Thought he focused to infinity and in fact focused to the other end of the focus ring, then ok, user error. In the second photo, yes, I could see where one might blame camera shake. SR isn't foolproof as we all know.

02-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I partly agree, JeffJS, which is why I'm so keen to know whether chutonio is getting confirmation of focus from the green hexagon and the beep. If he's in manual mode with aperture set at f16/f22 he might be getting pretty low shutter speeds, which wouldn't help stability. Who knows? We need all that information, chutonio.

Last edited by Wombat; 02-13-2011 at 09:19 PM.
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
Inactive Account

You're right. EXIFs would tell 90% of the story with these photos. Full unprocessed photos posted somewhere would tell 100% (verify SR had taken affect, focus range, EV, etc) of the story.

02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just to point something out, none of my cameras would even take a photo if "use aperture ring" was not set to permitted. It's worth making sure of though.

I'm more keyed in on his first shot with most of my comments. He later states he used f16 or f22 at infinity (unless I read something wrong). SOMETHING should be in focus on that shot. I'm not seeing anything I would associate with camera shake, unless the photographer was having an epileptic episode (no offense meant to those who may suffer with that affliction). Even if wide open, Something should be sharp or close to it. Now if he Thought he focused to infinity and in fact focused to the other end of the focus ring, then ok, user error. In the second photo, yes, I could see where one might blame camera shake. SR isn't foolproof as we all know.

Indeed, the camera does not shoot at all without a proper setting.
I fear the issue is not the setting properly the basilar things in the camera (allow shooting using aperture ring, setting the green button on tvshift...) or any epilectic episode () or any dumb wrong turning of the focus (:ugh.
And yes I wait for those bloody beeps hexagons shake hands and fireworks

I think I've never been able to reach the sharpness level of one your pictures JeffJS
Considering your suggestions and requests of more datails I'll do some tests as soon as I can and I will post them.
Thanks again everybody