Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

Unbearable softness K-x (again)

I have seen quite a good deal of posts dealing with problems of the K-x in getting sharp images.
Here it is my case.
I found the problem while using an old SMC ASAHI 1.4 50mm. Especially in presence of strong light, it was not possible to remove this effect.

googling I've found some possible setting meant to improve metering with old manual focus lenses; among these, using the green button to set in M mode the tv shifting.
but no results: the blurring effect still appears both in AUTO and in full manual pre-evaluating the exposition with the green button.

Any suggestion?
Thank you

Attached Images

02-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

just two ideas

1) Where did you focus? I can't find what you focused.

2) What was the aperture used? Are you sure you're not using the lens wide open? That way you'll get a small DoF. Just as an indication, if you focus for 10 m you will get little over 2 m of DoF. Not enought for that kind of photography.

Have fun,
Luis
02-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

I doubt very much it's the K-x fault and if not a 'technique' issue I would rather suspect lens,
sharpness seems to vary from one corner to the other.

Also at what aperture are these pics taken ?
depth of field principles most likely also apply to your problem.

I recently fine tuned my K-x's focus using the hidden 'debug menu'
but even my before pics were never this blurry.

Michel
02-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately there isn't enough information to help understand why these images are blurry.
I'm suspecting though that your lens is a manual M or M42 lens, on which you have not been stopping down (reducing the aperture to around f/8 or so) and thereby shooting wide open (at f/1.4) causing these hazy and seemingly blurry all over photos.

Firstly, confirm that you are not doing this, and if you're not sure if you are or not, then check your manual on how to shoot with M lenses (M42 function is slightly more streamlined as long as the appropriate aperture is selected on the actual lens), and try again.

02-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

What kind of adapter are you using (if M42, 50mm Takumar of some flavor)?

One might assume you know how to focus the camera. Did you set your Diopter so you are seeing things as the Lens sees them? You're exposures look ok so I'll assume the Green button is doing it's job. If a Tak type lens, is it set to A or M? If A, you are shooting wide open regardless of what you do, regardless of the mode. You should see the viewfinder darken as you rotate the aperture ring.

Just some things to look at. It appears to me the camera is operating properly but your methodology is what needs the work.

02-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
I doubt very much it's the K-x fault and if not a 'technique' issue I would rather suspect lens,
sharpness seems to vary from one corner to the other.

Also at what aperture are these pics taken ?
depth of field principles most likely also apply to your problem.

I recently fine tuned my K-x's focus using the hidden 'debug menu'
but even my before pics were never this blurry.

Michel
Hidden debug menu? what hidden debug menu? how can I get to it?
02-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #7

Have you used this lens successfully on other bodies? It sure looks like something is badly out of whack.

BirdDude: check here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/787751-post364.html

I believe it allows some fine AF adjustment, but globally, not for individual lenses like the K20, K7, K5.

Last edited by bikecoboss; 02-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't own Taks (yet), but I have the M 1.4 and wide open it's always a pain to focus and usually gets too brighty when shooting out in the open in a bright sunny day. Going to smaller aperture helps.

A friend of mine recently purchased a 50mm macro, but he was getting this sort of unfocused, blurry, kind of doubling images. It turned out that the lens had been disassembled for cleaning before. The cleaning could have destroyed the special lens coating or/and reassembling must have not been precise.

02-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I don't own Taks (yet), but I have the M 1.4 and wide open it's always a pain to focus and usually gets too brighty when shooting out in the open in a bright sunny day. Going to smaller aperture helps.
With a Takumar set on M, this would help, somewhat. With an M lens, it changes nothing in terms of focusing. What it changes is the DOF of the photo at picture time. The lens remains wide open until the shutter button is pressed.

QuoteQuote:
A friend of mine recently purchased a 50mm macro, but he was getting this sort of unfocused, blurry, kind of doubling images. It turned out that the lens had been disassembled for cleaning before. The cleaning could have destroyed the special lens coating or/and reassembling must have not been precise.
If it turns out to be a Lens issue, this is more likely the case.

02-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Your post sort of implies that you've tested the body with other lenses and not experienced a problem, so if possible you should try this lens on another body.

Paul
02-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Could you also tell us what shutter speeds you've been using and whether you have SR on? Does the camera ask you to input the focal length before you start shooting? Even wide open that lens wouldn't be as blurry as these photos. If you get a sharp picture shooting at, say, f8 at 1/250th, focused at infinity on a distant subject, then it points to your technique. If it's still blurry, I'd put my money on a dud lens. When you focus manually, are you getting the green symbol and beep to confirm you're in focus?

Lots of questions to check out before anyone can work out what's happening.

Last edited by Wombat; 02-12-2011 at 11:18 PM.
02-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Hidden debug menu? what hidden debug menu? how can I get to it?
There are a few posts already on the subject but
here's the most recent one I think:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/130514-...cs-please.html
02-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for troubleshooting! I really appreciate this

Just few things to narrow the available options.
First, this is the baby, which has K-mount and need no adapter. I have to set manually aperture and focus.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/111585-sale-%5Bsold%5D-super-m...1-4-conus.html

It gives me lovely results in dim light, sharp and vivid.
But when I use it outside in typical sunlight condition everything looks like I'm taking pictures through boiling water.
Few things; the pictures I posted were taken to be as much as I can photographer's dumbproof:

• aperture down to f16, f22 and infinite focus to avoid DoF issues and bad focusing by the user
  • In other cases I've been trying limiting undesired scattered light by polarizing filters and lens hood
  • ISO 200
Unluckily I didn't have the opportunity to test the lens in other bodies which is something I need to do before my K-x warranty expires.

QuoteQuote:
1) Where did you focus? I can't find what you focused.
Indeed, nothing seems to be focused but it is infinite
02-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Well that rules out anything said about Takumar (m42) lenses. What Mode are you using (M, Tv, Av, etc)?

02-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well that rules out anything said about Takumar (m42) lenses. What Mode are you using (M, Tv, Av, etc)?

Pretty much same result in every mode.
Auto, Av, Tv work the same since with the setting for old lenses all of them are commuted into Av (which means i set manually the aperture and the camera sets the shutter); in M mode I set the shutter as well or I let the camera do it with the green button.