Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D doing odd things

I don't know if this is the camera or the batteries that's causing the problem. Recently, on trying to change aperture it goes up and down and take me a few seconds to get to change to the correct aperture. Like I turn the wheel, and it's set on f11, then I want to go down to f5.6, it goes all the way up to maximum settings, then it will go back to the original f11 and then it might let me change to f5.6.

I thought it was batteries when this happened the first time, because I hadn't used the camera for a few weeks, so I charged them and it's doing it again, but I haven't used the camera since 2/3/11. Are the batteries (Eneloops) the cause, or the camera?

02-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

My bet is the e-dial on the camera. Your camera seems to have all the symptoms of other problems I've read about, particularly with the K7.

02-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is it fixable? And is if so, how costly? Would it be simpler to buy another camera?
02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Yes. If you're brave you could probably do it yourself with some good contact cleaner.

I don't know how costly, never paid to have it done (never had to have it done). A recent poster said his repair shop (or pentax, don't remember which) wanted 140 euro to do the job. I'm sure CRIS would want you to send it for an estimate.

Could be an excuse to get another camera if that is your desire ..

02-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fixing it myself, I wouldn't know where to begin. Are there instructions online somewhere?

As for a new camera, you know I've been thinking of upgrading anyway, so if I can make this last a few more months, I can upgrade. Nothing new but a good priced 10MP one would work.
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

You build computers so I'm sure you're mechanically inclined to do it. Basically what you need to do is get the top cover off of the camera. I don't know if there is a good instruction set or not for it. You might look at the Pentax-hack website to see if there's a diagram.

Maybe a 200d will be in your budget or by then, a Kx?

02-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff. That site has a service manual for my camera. Will take a look see tonight and hopefully be able to fix this myself.

As for new camera, I was thinking k2000 or K-M the K200 and K-x are out of my price range until December 2011. I plan on saving the money to get another higher MP camera. I have a few bills that will be paid off by then.

02-13-2011, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Is the battery warning icon showing low charge? Sometimes these blips can right themselves by just working the offending part, so while you're watching TV try just twirling the dial backwards and forwards. If that fails you could also try a very gentle squirt of contact fluid at the top and bottom of the dial and see if you can work it in by again twirling the dial - anything to avoid taking the top off; if you don't know what you're doing you could ruin a perfectly good camera. And the K100 is an excellent camera.
02-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wombat, at the time, the first time, the battery wasn't showing low charge until a few minutes later. This mornings episode didn't show low battery charge at first either. Now it's still not showing low charge. This doesn't happen all the time, just at odd times after I've left the camera sit for a few weeks. It could just be a sticky dial. I'll try contact fluid next time I am able to buy some. Any special brand I should get?

I'm pretty handy with electronics tear downs. But looking at this service manual, it looks a bit more daunting than just unscrewing some screws.
02-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The E-dial is a series of gold plated contacts on a circuit board and some springy 'finger contacts' that move with the wheel. Radio Shack sells a spray contact cleaner. Removing the camera top is not that difficult. I took a series of shots of the top removal of my K200D when I replaced the shutter switch. I could post on Google pictures if you would want to see them.
02-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

How long have you had the Eneloops, mate? It could be that they're not holding their charge like they used to. Good as they are, they rarely give you a full 1.5V each at the best of times, as you'd know, so it might be worth testing them or trying a fresh set of AAs. I don't know what tolerance the K100 has, but a smidgin less oomph at the weakest point might be enough to cause trouble. (How's that for a scientific analysis!).
Sounds like a good offer from gp1806, and you know what you're doing with electronica. I've lost count of the number of cameras I've taken apart only to have tiny springs, ballbearings, screws etc. fly off into the night, never to be seen again.
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My K100D is also acting weird lately but not the same problem raised by the OP.

It doubles the shutter randomly when it fires. This happened in the past but seems to occur more often these past few weeks.

I thought it was the humidity so I put in in my dry box for 24h, it didn't help.

I thought it was the battery so I used fully charged Eneloops, it didn't help.

The funny thing is when it double fire, only one image is recorded so it basically the mirror slaps twice but only one image is taken.
02-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks gp1806 that would be super. I have looked at this manual I downloaded from the link Jeff supplied but it talks about unsoldering things, and I'm sure that's not what I need to do here.

Wombat, I've had the Eneloops for less than a year. I have a set of Energizer rechargeables I use in a pinch; guess I could charge them up and try those just to be sure it's not the Eneloops.

ducdao, I understand you have a problem with your K100d but wouldn't it be better if you started your own thread? Answers to both our questions might be confusing with two different problems.

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 12:02 AM ----------

Wombat, I tried what you suggested also. Playing with the wheel, wouldn't you know it, it was fine. Changed f stops just like it was supposed to do.
02-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

ducdao, I understand you have a problem with your K100d but wouldn't it be better if you started your own thread? Answers to both our questions might be confusing with two different problems.
Sure, I realized that and thank you for reminding me of it. If you read my post carefully, I didn't ask for any help hence our fellow members don't really have to answer any question from my part. I was simply stating that the K100D can generate other odd things as well which might link to the issue raised by you.
02-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I was simply stating that the K100D can generate other odd things as well.
And I didn't really need to hear that either. LOL