Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
spectacles and the viewfinder

Sometimes, I get really frustrated being a glasses wearer when trying to get a nice clean full view through my camera's view finder. Does anyone else have problems with this? Any tips or suggestions? Should I just be wearing contact lenses whenever I plan to take pictures? This is particularly a problem at night, because I can never see everything I want to see in the viewfinder when I have glasses on (and using live view doesn't cut it either, at night)

02-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can change the diopter of the viewfinder, depending upon the strength of your glasses, you may be able to look through the viewfinder without any spectacles.
Just slide the rippled slider on top of the viewfinder left or right, depending upon the strength needed.

- Bert
02-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #3

I had the same problem but I got round it cheaply. I had a cheap pair of reading glasses that I had bought from the rack at a local store and I had a rubber viewfinder that fitted onto a plastic piece to fit my camera. This only cost me a few pounds on Ebay, and I cut a piece from the lens off the old glasses to fit the viewfinder and it works perfectly. Suits my eyesight perfect and doesnt cost the price they charge for ready made ones.
02-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Pictures

QuoteOriginally posted by ppaul_l Quote
I had the same problem but I got round it cheaply. I had a cheap pair of reading glasses that I had bought from the rack at a local store and I had a rubber viewfinder that fitted onto a plastic piece to fit my camera. This only cost me a few pounds on Ebay, and I cut a piece from the lens off the old glasses to fit the viewfinder and it works perfectly. Suits my eyesight perfect and doesnt cost the price they charge for ready made ones.
Could you post a picture of it.. I would love to try that myself.

02-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
Sometimes, I get really frustrated being a glasses wearer when trying to get a nice clean full view through my camera's view finder. Does anyone else have problems with this? Any tips or suggestions? Should I just be wearing contact lenses whenever I plan to take pictures? This is particularly a problem at night, because I can never see everything I want to see in the viewfinder when I have glasses on (and using live view doesn't cut it either, at night)
I find it very out of touch how DSLR makers all seem to blissfully ignore this problem when it's so obvious that such a high percentage of their customers and avid enthusiasts for using their product would wear, and require vision aids.

Presumable you've adjusted the inbuilt diopter slider to the best position possible to suit your own vision impairment?

And here's the been there, done that type of story:

My prescription is such that I could never get nearly enough adjustment for clarity with my specs on, though I could just see in the VF OK if the diopter was adjusted fully to the right if I took them off.
That created the problem of where do you put them temporarily? CR39 lenses always seem to scratch easily, frames are flimsy and easy to bend/break, or fall out of spare empty pockets when you bend over, so I had to start wearing a string-tether cord to hang them off my neck when removed.
OK, but problem only partially solved.

Still not satisfied, I then bought one of the Pentax VF magnifier part # O-ME53 to try, which gave very useful extra magnification, with added bonus that it also permits me to see in the VF clearly with my specs on, plus the eyecup is softer and protrudes farther out making the camera less squashed against the face.
Pentax O-ME53 - Adorama.com
For me, that was definitely worth the money.

Pentax also make a "Diopter correction lens adapter M" replacement for the built-in diopter on the camera, which allows greater adjustment range. Plus a few other optional VF assist stuff here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/category-Viewfinder-Attachments...ne-Pentax.html

So depending on your own prescription, one of those options could be worth considering.

There's also a 3rd party 1.3x/1.35x magnifier available to fit some Pentax. Try searching eBay.com on "KPS".

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I suggest the O-ME53... It's made life with the K-x much better...

Try this thread I posted a while back: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/107065-diopiter...e-wearers.html
02-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've learnt over the years, just to move my eye around to take it all in, as like you, I can't see it all in a one due to spectacles.

02-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for that information - I think I will definitely invest in one of those parts. I need to wear vision correction ALL the time, and sometimes my contact lenses are not always comfortable.
02-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Try taking the eye cup off if you are still using one while using the diopter. I find that often works better for me than trying to use glasses, the diopter and an eye cup. The combo of the eye cup and my glasses keeps me from using the diopter as effectively. Without the eye cup I seem to have a lot clearer view and less problems with focusing.
02-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #10

i tried a 1.33x magnifier with an extended eyecup, but i didnt like it, because i couldnt see whole area of the VF, only magnified center.
I want to see entire VF rectangle and numbers below.
Therefore i pulled out it, continue with original eyecup. I take of glasses when i shoot.
May be i should attach a string to my glasses to take it off and on more easily.

In fact i thought changing glasses with lens, but it is not so advised i think accordings to comments above?