Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KX Over exposing since Firmware Update

Seems like I'm having a lot of my shots coming up over exposed since I did the firmware update on my KX. Is this a common problem?
I shouldn't have to turn my EV down to -3 to have a balanced histogram in the semi auto and fully auto modes. What gives?

02-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Seems like I'm having a lot of my shots coming up over exposed since I did the firmware update on my KX. Is this a common problem?
I shouldn't have to turn my EV down to -3 to have a balanced histogram in the semi auto and fully auto modes. What gives?
With ALL lenses? It Sounds like your aperture isn't stopping down.

02-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
great. i just bought the lens off a guy on marketplace. and left + feedback.

what would be a way to confirm this?

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 01:41 PM ----------

If the aperture is not stopping down, would this always be occurring or is it intermittent? Just so we're clear.....If I take a pic in P, or AT with the flash on Pttl, there is no way I should be overexposed, right? I'm posting pics in a few...

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 01:59 PM ----------

here is a pic I took in auto mode. the flash was pttl.

how would this take place in auto? the entire lot came out like this. i don't get it. look at the exif info? the shutter was open for 1/8 of a second and there was a ton of light in the room and my iso was at 200??
exif here...click on the I on the photo.

Last edited by Deiberson; 02-15-2011 at 07:10 AM.
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The Exif says ISO 200, f9, 1/8sec, no flash, focal length 33mm. You can check the lens easily by taking it off of the camera. If it is an A type lens or one without an aperture ring, put it on A. That will stop the aperture all the way down. Flick the lever on the rear of the lens. The aperture should open and close without any delay (and without help).

What the photo LOOKS like is you are using a manual lens and firing the flash. In That case, P-TTL does not work and will fire the flash at full power regardless of the settings. Also, If it's a manual lens (no A on aperture ring or not a DA type lens without an aperture ring, or an M42 lens), the auto modes will take the picture with the lens wide open. I don't think that is the case though because the EXIF does report an aperture. The numbers the EXIF reports however, the photo should not look like that. If anything, if indoors, I would expect that photo to be Underexposed or very blurry from camera shake or both. In the case of an M42 lens (just for discussion) you can set the lens to M, dial your aperture, and use the Av mode. You just cannot control the aperture with the camera.

This all leaves me with the aperture is sticking (if it is a single lens). Try the other lenses you have and see if it clears the problem of over-exposure. If it does, then it's the lens. If it doesn't, the camera. Try reinstalling the older firmware or even the same one in the camera. I'm sure somebody here can point you to one if you don't have it anymore. (PS and DISCLAIMER: I accept no responsibility for anything that happens when I suggest loading a firmware). The other obvious things to try: Different card, format the card, try different batteries, etc to rule anything simple out.

Last edited by JeffJS; 02-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens is a Tamron 28-75 2.8 Its not a manual focus lens.
Worst case scenario....meaning the person who I purchased this lens from on the marketplace walks away from this and I'm left to pay for it...How much am I looking at to get it fixed?

I'm not saying the original owner won't take care of it....just wondering in case he doesn't

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 04:46 PM ----------

I just took it off and twisted the Aperture ring. It stays open throughout the entire range and isn't stopping down. I'll contact the previous owner.

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 04:47 PM ----------

I just took it off and twisted the Aperture ring. It stays open throughout the entire range and isn't stopping down. I'll contact the previous owner.
02-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
The lens is a Tamron 28-75 2.8 Its not a manual focus lens.
Worst case scenario....meaning the person who I purchased this lens from on the marketplace walks away from this and I'm left to pay for it...How much am I looking at to get it fixed?

I'm not saying the original owner won't take care of it....just wondering in case he doesn't

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 04:46 PM ----------

---------- Post added 02-14-11 at 04:47 PM ----------

You See that the Aperture is wide open and stays there regardless of what you do? I don't know what it costs to fix them. It may be under warranty and all you may need is a receipt to get it fixed. Tamron's USA warranty is 6 years. Don't know where you are though.