Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "non-official" dumb question thread.

In an effort not to have 6 thousand "dumb question" threads. But not wanting to thread jack anyone elses.thread I figured we could start a thread where anyone who has a possible "dumb question" post it here. Then hopefully we can get some helpful answers and move on to the next one.

I'll start.

Dumb question: per the manual, it says if you are taking a picture to attach the viewfinder cover. Will
This really affect the quality of your picture? I tend to take alot of pictures holding the camera over my head, or down towards the ground. I never noticed any quality loss, but maybe I'm missing it?
Thanks

02-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
My understanding is that for long exposures the light coming through the viewfinder can throw off the metering, sounds like that shouldn't be a problem for you since you are hand holding.
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are already lots of threads for questions that could be answered had the posters bothered to do a search of the site... This is however a beginners forum so its going to happen whatever... I've done it and I'm fairly sure other have too...

Oh... Well done... That was a (non-official) dumb question... I'm almost impressed...
02-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

What about Stupid questions and my ever popular, Silly questions?

02-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well you've failed your brief because it wasn't a dumb question at all
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Someone complained just last weekend about inconsistent exposure when shooting in high ambient room light. I suggested he may not have been careful with light in the viewfinder

It does not impact IQ but can screw the metering
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote

Oh... Well done... That was a (non-official) dumb question... I'm almost impressed...
Is this how you answer all questions in the "beginner q&a"? Lol
Thanks for the answers all...
02-15-2011, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #8

This one is so awful, that I'd like to sign in as 'anonymous'. Is there a secret to the 'search' function that I'm missing? I stumbled upon a post titled something like "Recommended equipment for a beginner" One of the posters suggested referring to another similar post. I have tried 30 variations on that theme, cannot find it. I get scads of posts every time I search for something, but little of it directed to what I'm really looking for. I'm assuming the search is looking for tags, but darn, is there an efficient search method? And can anyone find the above referenced post?

02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lol this is why I created this thread. I searched for my original question under 3 or 4 different keywords/phrases and didn't come up with anything close to my question.
For some reason the search on here is very hard to use....
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Recommended Pentax Gear | Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com

Is that what you are looking for?

I'm quasi old school and use yahoo search:
"Recommended equipment for a beginner site: pentaxforums.com"

forum search seems to be hit an miss for me as well.
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
Recommended Pentax Gear | Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com

Is that what you are looking for?

I'm quasi old school and use yahoo search:
"Recommended equipment for a beginner site: pentaxforums.com"

forum search seems to be hit an miss for me as well.
That's probably the one that one of the posters referred to that I wanted to read (which is why I was trying to find the one I stumbled upon). However, your general methodology is wonderful. It will solve many a search problem. Thank you.

@ SlickYamaha, thanks for show of support. It's nice to know I'm not alone in search frustrations. I'm glad you threw your body in front of the train and started the 'unofficial dumb questions' thread so those of us suffering in silence could brave the humiliation of admitting our ignorance.
02-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darenka Quote
That's probably the one that one of the posters referred to that I wanted to read (which is why I was trying to find the one I stumbled upon). However, your general methodology is wonderful. It will solve many a search problem. Thank you.
I always thought it ironic how nearly 100% of the time a standard Google websearch will pull up more pentaxforums.com source results than all my best efforts using the PentaxForums forum search function.
(and this is easily one the better too, as far as native WebForums search goes.)

O.T
// start poisonous barbs attack on Google
Otoh; Google's own famous Gmail inbuilt Search must surely be the most disgraceful idiotic brain-dead retarded useless cretinous neanderthal-level-capable incompetent P.O.S on the Internet.

What's the bloody point of Gigs of lifetime email storage when the only supplied Search is soooo f..'in primitive that your can't search your own Mail history unless you know (meaning: remember) exactly what you seek, and, your search term words or phrases are spelt and worded exactly the same, character for character.

It doesn't even support basic wildcards, or soundex, let alone regex or globbing. Sheesh!
\\ end rant, reloading for next...

.R. -- Now try exporting your Gmail to another system. Haha. We buy souls...