Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Center focus

I'm actually a somewhat experienced photographer, but I'm having a fairly basic problem with my K-7:
I like to center focus, press the shutter release halfway, and then reframe. The problem is that my K-7 will refocus on an object at the center of my new framing.
I set the focus knob at the front of the camera to C, and the AF switch to the picture of the box with the dot in the middle.
Have I set these incorrectly, or is the problem somewhere else?

02-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set your camera to AF-S (Single). AF-C is Continuous Auto Focus.

02-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

yeah c stands for continuous, so you want af-s (sorry, already answered I guess).
02-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

I am not sure how similar the K-7 is to the K-R, but I had this exact same problem and all I needed to do was hold down the AF/AE-L button during the re-framing process to ensure the focus remained on the original subject. I was using AF-A (auto), so I am not sure if just switching to AF-S would have solved the problem (I think I tried that and it didn't, but I am not 100% sure).

Obviously, YMMV since you have a slightly different camera!

02-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leheath8 Quote
I am not sure how similar the K-7 is to the K-R, but I had this exact same problem and all I needed to do was hold down the AF/AE-L button during the re-framing process to ensure the focus remained on the original subject. I was using AF-A (auto), so I am not sure if just switching to AF-S would have solved the problem (I think I tried that and it didn't, but I am not 100% sure).

Obviously, YMMV since you have a slightly different camera!
On all of the cameras that have it, AF-S is a Single shot focus mode only. Once it locks, with the shutter button half pressed or the AF button pressed, it's ready to take the picture. If you move the camera and Re press the shutter button, it will refocus. Otherwise, no, it will stay focused at the same distance. The K7 (As do the K5, K20, K10) has separate AF and AE-L buttons. The AF-A on your Kr apparently chooses between AF-S and AF-C depending on the program mode.