Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Precautions in buying k7+Neewer battery grip

Hi all,

I am new to the pentax forum, have been following it for a while now, it seems like a very close nit and friendly community! I am a student, and have been interested in photography for a while now, been playing around with my dad's p30 with a few manual lenses.
Now, i'm making the move to a k7! I found it posted locally on craigslist from a gentleman, and the price is 600 for a k7 with 6000 accuration, seems like a fair price to me, other wise the body is in excellent condition.
I will be picking up the camera in 2 days, and is there any precautions i should take a note of? how should i test out the camera? given that i only have a few manual lenses..or things i should take extra notice of? the seller seems legit, reason for selling is switching to Canon...but i wanted to shoot this question out to you experienced pentaxians to see your feedbacks.

Now, for my second question (crossing my fingers that the k7 is ok). I was looking into purchasing the neewer battery grip for k7, has anyone had experience with it? I found it through amazon.ca cost is 79.99, and in the description it says weather resistant....seemed to me highly unlikely for 80 bucks...has anyone used this? would you recommend any other 3rd party grip?

Thanks for reading through my bambling post! this is actually my first post, and i hope to post more and share my photos in the future!

Nick

02-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like a fair deal to me. I'd just check the sensor for hot pixels, etc.

As far as grips go, the generic ones aren't weather-sealed, so chances are the one you're looking at isn't unless it's an amazing deal on a used Pentax grip!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Adam,

thanks for the suggestion, how would i find hot pixels? over expose a shot? I'm still fairly new to digital slrs, this might seem like a stupid question...I think I will wait on the grip, not exactly a necessity at the moment, thanks for your feedback on that.

Nick
02-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicZh Quote
Hi Adam,

thanks for the suggestion, how would i find hot pixels? over expose a shot? I'm still fairly new to digital slrs, this might seem like a stupid question...I think I will wait on the grip, not exactly a necessity at the moment, thanks for your feedback on that.

Nick
Nick,

The camera can map out hot / dead pixels in one of the menu's.
All sensors are prone to this problems, not a big deal, you will never see the difference.

The K-7 is an excellent camera and the asking price is very low to my standards.

- Bert

02-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it's a good [price at the low end of where they are selling right now
take a few images (read how to use manual lenses on the k7 first if your lenses are A models
not much chance the grip is wr at that price. whether you need a wr grip is another story. depends on how you use the camera. i have a grip for my k10 for the added battery life. i haven't bought one for my k7 yet. you can get a 3rd party grip like the one you saw with 2 spare batteries for less than the price you saw on ebay. if i
your lenses aren't wr either and are just as big a point of entry in not more so
i have the wr kit lens for really bad weather.
02-15-2011, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome aboard.

Download and browse the manual so you can at least see what the buttons and other stuff are supposed to do.

1. Take a blank SD card with you so you can test the camera.
2. Ask the seller to make sure there is a charged battery in the camera.
3. If one of your lenses is a Pentax brand, take it along so you can try it out. With your dads P30, you may not have any auto focus lenses but if you do, take one along.
4. You're a student so more than likely you have a laptop with a card reader. Take it along so you can check for hot pixels, scratched sensor, etc.
5. Put a lens on the camera, turn on the camera, stop the lens all the way down to f22, in M mode, point the camera at the sky, press the Green Button (see the manual) and take a picture. Look at the picture on your laptop. What you are looking for is dust. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

Dust in itself isn't a big deal. Spots are removable as I describe in the article. What you may want to avoid however is a camera that shows something that looks like a Smear. It Could indicate (but doesn't confirm) a scratch. I say to examine this photo on a computer screen because it can be difficult to see this on the camera rear screen.

6. Make sure the flash works, make sure the e-dials work, make sure the AF assist light works, stuff like that.

If you haven't completely pissed off the seller at this point for taking so much time and you're satisfied the camera is in good condition, pay the man and welcome to the club.

Second question. I've Read that some of the generic grips may be weather sealed. Here's the deal with that. It doesn't matter much. The camera itself is weather sealed and there is only one point where the grip makes any electrical contact with the camera. I would be more concerned with the build quality and longevity of the controls that whether or not it is sealed. That is of course unless you intend to submerge the camera. As noted by one of your neighbors though, you can get a grip for less than $80 on ebay and many come with spare batteries.

02-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh yeah and welcome to the forum neighbour, it took Jeff pointing it out for me to clue in
where are you a student?

edit ; is this the ad where he is selling with a kit lens? if so you should be able to test all functions as Jeff pointed out
Smoking price (low enough to make me wonder even. it came from hong kong according to the ad)
02-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the reply! I will take note of all your suggestions.

Bert: I think it should be ok, the seller seems like a decent guy, professional photographer and all, just switching to canon. I will check out the hot pixels, and actually the body is still under warranty for a few month! just found that out, kind of gave me a peace of mind.

Jeff: haha...hopefully the seller will have enough patience for me to go through all the things you mentioned I'm hoping to pick up a kit lens before then, if not, I will be asking the seller to bring a lens, I have gone through the whole tutorial of how to use manual lenses, it seems like a more difficult task than i originally expected...especially with focus...maybe I should invest in a split screen later down the road? I really do love the feeling of the solid old pentax lenses, and the reason why I decided to choose pentax is very much for this reason, and a nostalgia of pentax in general from my childhood with the p30!

Eddie: I do not believe this is the same seller, he is from all the way up north...It doesn't come with a kitlens..i really wish it did, but for that price and the low(IMO) accuration, and the pictures of the body(like new condition), I really would've been paranoid about why he is selling! It is such a nice day today in toronto! wish i had the k7 today...I go to school at the university of toronto, this is my last year, very anxious about what todo after, maybe that's why i'm finding release in photography? haha..

Nick

02-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i walk down professors walk on the way home most days with my camera in hand
i work at the intercontinental on bloor
it is a nice day today hopefully i get out in time to take advantage of the light
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks guys for all the reply! I will take note of all your suggestions.

Jeff: haha...hopefully the seller will have enough patience for me to go through all the things you mentioned I'm hoping to pick up a kit lens before then, if not, I will be asking the seller to bring a lens, I have gone through the whole tutorial of how to use manual lenses, it seems like a more difficult task than i originally expected...especially with focus...maybe I should invest in a split screen later down the road? I really do love the feeling of the solid old pentax lenses, and the reason why I decided to choose pentax is very much for this reason, and a nostalgia of pentax in general from my childhood with the p30!

Nick
I don't think I would bother with a split screen. You can if you want to, some of them screw with the metering on these cameras, I had one on my K10d and migrated it to my K20d (not the IR one I have now). Instead, I would learn to use the Focus Trap.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/133293-catch-focus...ml#post1387170

If there is some real need for close critical focus, the split can be useful though.
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i have the split in the k7 you sold me Jeff, no issues with metering (but admittedly i haven't tried spot metering with it)
i also have the Pentax +3 diopter correction lens on it (my reading prescription) between the 2 it has made manual focus a damn site easier.

edit; just tested it seems to be on target but will need more extensive testing to be certain

Last edited by eddie1960; 02-15-2011 at 01:24 PM.
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i have the split in the k7 you sold me Jeff, no issues with metering (but admittedly i haven't tried spot metering with it)
i also have the Pentax +3 diopter correction lens on it (my reading prescription) between the 2 it has made manual focus a damn site easier.

edit; just tested it seems to be on target but will need more extensive testing to be certain
Yeah, I never tried a split screen with the K7 and I'm more specifically talking about a Katzeye (guess I should have mentioned that). What I've READ is that they will throw off spot metering on the K7 as much as 2(?) stops. This had apparently even been noted on the Katzeye website. I really don't know why though. All parts of the meter are actually Active at all times during measurement (look at the metering LV in Exif with photome). What changes is what gets used and how it is used.

02-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the katzeye's have britescreen tech don't they? this might be the cause.
i couldn't see the value in one as the nikon k3 screen i got was far less expensive but still better than the cheapest screens
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the katzeye's have britescreen tech don't they? this might be the cause.
i couldn't see the value in one as the nikon k3 screen i got was far less expensive but still better than the cheapest screens
I guess it is more for fast lenses, the metering concern.. See the product details..

Pentax K-5 & K-7 KatzEye Focusing Screen

Yes, expensive but they are nice. Worth it? Personal choice.

Last edited by JeffJS; 02-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
02-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have gone through the whole tutorial of how to use manual lenses, it seems like a more difficult task than i originally expected..Nick
It looks a lot worse in print than it actually is in practice. Really, after a few goes it'll become second nature. Some of those old lenses had truly excellent character and it's well worth just learning the technique.