Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #1

Compatible lens for K-x

I'am absolutely new in using DSLR. I have got a Pentax K-x on Jan'11 with a 18-55mm kit lens. Enjoying learning the subject.

I am planning for a trekking programme in coming April end, before which I want to buy a 50-200mm zoom and a UV lens for the lens. Please suggest me a good compatible lens with appropriate model nos. from any company like Pentax, Sigma & Tamron.

02-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should add a price indication Else somebody will advise on a Tamron 70-200/2.8 or a Pentax DA*60-250/4.

Pentax DA55-300 is considered extremely good for its price.

Reasonably complete listings of Pentax compatible lenses:
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

PS Don't forget to add lens hoods if the lenses don't come with them; more usefull than UV filters.
02-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Forget the UV filter, buy the Pentax DA 55-300
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yes, that :-)

02-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm curious, why forget the UV filter? I put one on my 18-55 kit lens as soon as I got ... just because I thought you were supposed to. Is it because it's pointless with a hood (which I don't have)?

Last edited by Brenda Lee; 02-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.
02-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
I'm curious, why forget the UV filter? I put one on my 18-55 kit lens as soon as I got ... just because I thought you were supposed to.
That's a big misconception. It's good to learn that early. Unless you are in an extreme environment (blowing sand, salt water, fresh water, ect), there is absolutely no need for one. All you are doing in buying them is fattening the wallets of the people selling them. Instead, buy solid hoods for your lenses. Far more protective against bumps and things like that and they actually Do something for you.

02-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
I'm curious, why forget the UV filter? I put one on my 18-55 kit lens as soon as I got ... just because I thought you were supposed to.
Hi Brenda, and welcome
There are many people who think that the downsides of a UV filter (extra piece of glass to cause flare etc problems) outweigh the benefits, (protection for the lens) On the other hand there are many who think the opposite. Basically the first group uses hoods for protection rather than filters. We therefore have periodic filter vs hood wars with impassioned posts for both points of view. My thoughts are that it doesn't much matter which way you go for the less expensive lenses, but I feel the top shelf lenses do better without. Think about putting a relatively cheap piece of glass in front of a $600 or more lens. BTW I always use a hood, not only for flare control and protection but I've also found (and tests back me up) that using a hood boosts the contrast making the colors brighter and snappier. I think that to a certain degree filter use is pushed by retailers who get to sell you another piece of equipment. Hoods are usually included on most lenses. (some of the kit lenses don't) but filters are always an extra.

edit: Jeff above reminded me when a filter is very much required and that is in very dusty/sandy environments.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

02-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Brenda, and welcome
Thanks.
02-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
and a quality Circular Polarizer
02-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for your inputs and valuable suggesstions. As I have a tight budget, presently, to invest for a similar manufacturer lens, therefore, please suggest me about the performance of Sigma 50/55 - 200mm lens with K-x.

Also remember that Pentax products are not freely available in India, but Sigma / Tamron is more or less available in some of the camera markets.
02-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
and a quality Circular Polarizer
I hv'nt used any polarizers in past with my manual SLR. Please tell me in brief about the special utility of this....
02-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Only get a polariser if you have a specific need to use it. It you don't know what they are for then you don't need them.
02-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amitincal Quote
I hv'nt used any polarizers in past with my manual SLR. Please tell me in brief about the special utility of this....
Brief and crude explanation; “If Used Properly”, a circular polarizer (CPL) effectively reduces (or removes) unwanted reflections from surfaces such glass windows or water. It can also increase color saturation, darken the sky and appear deeper blue.

CPL is mainly used for landscape photography. As noted, use a CPL only if you need it.

To get a better understanding of polarizers in general I suggest reading this article:

All about Polarizers - Linear and Circular