Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problems with focusing K10D, Katzeye

So,

I have bought a Katzeye for my K10D. I can't get the focus quite right.

To be honest, I'm not now sure what is the Katzeye installation or the K10D - they certainly disagree over what is in focus when. In some circumstances one will seem better than the other.

Basically, this is beyond my competance to sort out. Bearing in mind that I am in the UK, and that I have already spent more money than I have on the camera and screen, what are my options for sorting this out? My local family owned camera shop, whilst excellent, do not do Pentax.

Thanks,

Jez

02-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

It is a common problem. The thickness of the screen is not always quite right, which means that you will need a shim to correct it. Search this forum for the word 'shim'. The can be ordered from Pentax. I myself made my own from a plastic folder. Ugly but cheap. And it works.

Erik
02-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

what are the problems with the focusing.

My experience and from what I perceive on the forum is that installing a split image focusing screen in any of the bodies with a pentaprism, (like K10D) does not require any calibration, however there are shims available from pentax that permit shimming the screen to correct focus errors, it is just rare that the K10D would need them

Also contact Rachel Katz because they have excellent support and can probably assist also.

One last point, you did install it the correct way around, with the tab on the right as you face the lens opening, and you did take off any protective plastic.

Sorry, but had to ask
02-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it was the right way round...

I guess that I was expecting no problems as well, part of me wonders if it is seated correctly, as I found it a bugger to fit. The thought of putting shims in horrifies me, it was hard enough just getting the screen in without the camera filling up with dust or getting scratched...

I guess my other worry is about front or back focusing in the K10D. The easiest way of checking that the screen is installed correctly is to compare it with the AF indicator, but if this is off too...

02-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Yes, it was the right way round...

I guess that I was expecting no problems as well, part of me wonders if it is seated correctly, as I found it a bugger to fit. The thought of putting shims in horrifies me, it was hard enough just getting the screen in without the camera filling up with dust or getting scratched...

I guess my other worry is about front or back focusing in the K10D. The easiest way of checking that the screen is installed correctly is to compare it with the AF indicator, but if this is off too...
actually the easiest way to check the screen is to focus on something and forget all about the AF indicator.

You are putting the screen into the camera I assume to focus manually, why bother with the indicator.

ALso, while the level of effort to put a screen in can vary from person to person, I find it hard to understand it being a bugger to fit.

My first screen took all of about 1 minute to change, that was swapping between *istD and K10D to prove a point of metering, then I swapped them back.

I have since installed split image screens in both the K10D and *istD with no issue, and only a minute or so each

No scratches, no dust. It is a relitively easy task to perform as long as you have a good set of tweezers
02-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Both my K100D and K10D had to be shimmed.

Install was done by my dealer. I eventually replaced the K10D one with the original as the split screen was too far off. From this last experience I can feel for jeztastic. I'm a bit nervous when it comes to these things which basically results in a bit of a tremor when trying to fit the screen.

For the shimming I took the cameras to the local Pentax repair facility. For the K100D they did it for free as part of a cleaning / check, for the K10D they charged me a 'minimal' amount.
02-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
actually the easiest way to check the screen is to focus on something and forget all about the AF indicator.

You are putting the screen into the camera I assume to focus manually, why bother with the indicator.

ALso, while the level of effort to put a screen in can vary from person to person, I find it hard to understand it being a bugger to fit.

My first screen took all of about 1 minute to change, that was swapping between *istD and K10D to prove a point of metering, then I swapped them back.

I have since installed split image screens in both the K10D and *istD with no issue, and only a minute or so each

No scratches, no dust. It is a relitively easy task to perform as long as you have a good set of tweezers
My experience would be similar to Lowell.

Very easy to do and fast to do - fear is your main enemy!

Additionally, I am happy to use the AF indicator as confirmation of my manual focusing.