Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Protective Gear Recommendations: lens pouches, cleaning equipment, etc.

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my gear in good condition. Any recommendations on bags, pouches, and whatnot to protect my gear?

My gear will be (just ordered, should arrive in the next week or so):
White Pentax K-x
DA L 18-55mm
DA L 55-300mm
Raynox DCR-150
Manfrotto 190XDB
Manfrotto 322RC2
. . . plus extra batters, SDHC cards, and the cables and whatnot that come with the camera

I ordered a Lowepro Adventura 170 bag which will hopefully fit everything but the tripod.

Do people generally recommend any other protective gear? Like lens pouches, tripod bags, etc? Do kit lenses come with that kind of stuff? I vaguely remembering reading somewhere that some kit lenses don't even come with lens caps, is that true? My gear hasn't arrived yet, but I figure it's kind of like buying a dog or a baby--gotta buy the equipment BEFORE the dog/baby arrives in the home. In other words, I want to make sure I have a place for the gear to "sleep" before it arrives.

Also, what is regarded as essential in terms of lens/camera cleaning equipment?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Parallax; 02-15-2011 at 02:21 PM.
02-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A white camera might keep you busy.

I have been thinking about protection for the rear LCD. My old camera had a 2" screen, which sucked but was less in the way. The new screens seem more vulnerable to everything from nose-prints to scratches. There's a lot of options.
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get an acmaxx screen protector. They can be had for around $10 off of eBay. I absolutely love mine.
02-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A white camera might keep you busy.
I've had a white K-x for over a year. No dirt or discoloration at all.

02-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ahw Quote
I vaguely remembering reading somewhere that some kit lenses don't even come with lens caps, is that true?
I have the same K-x kit as you have (or what you will have.) Both lenses do come with front and rear caps but not hoods. You will have to buy them separately.

If you’re in the market for backpacks in my opinion the $35 Amazon Basics is perhaps the best bang for the buck. I have this particular backpack and was surprised how good the quality is and the number of equipments it can hold considering its low price.

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories (Black): Camera & Photo

Cheers..
02-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What I do: I use a large teardrop over-the-shoulder Ameribag which doesn't look like a camera bag. My K20D and whatever glass is mounted on it just sit inside if not around my neck. The Ameribag is the result of having my pockets picked in Antigua Guatemala during Semana Santa -- I only lost my wallet, not my camera, but the Ameribag was recommended by Old Guatemala Hands as being the most defensible solution to carrying stuff. I don't leave home without it.

Into the Ameribag I can fit camera+lens OR netbook; and a compact but tall tripod; and a few lenses: DA10-17, DA18-250, Tam 10-24, and 24-35-50-85 fast primes; and lens pen, P&S, filters, batteries, Raynox, kite, passport, pills, snacks, radio, small tools, etc. The tripod is in its bag UNLESS it's inside the Ameribag. Every lens has front and rear caps and a hood, or they share hoods; and lenses are in thin cloth drawstring bags.