Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Pentax k-x EV bar question

Hi, I'm really new to using the k-x and DSLR

i just received it yesterday and love shooting pictures... but my problem is that right now when i change the shutter speed to a say "1/25" - the EV slides to -3 and when i go to like "0.4" or higher, it'll slide to +3.

This only happens in M mode. I haven't changed anything and read the manual, which didn't help much. I even searched through the forums for some help.

Can someone please help, because all the pictures are coming out funky.

Thank you in advance.

02-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I hope I'm understanding your question.

When in M mode, the ev bar is your meter readout. You want to get it to be a zero for a 'correct' exposure.

If you like, you can change the aperture (instead of the shutter speed) by holding down the +/- button and turning the wheel at the back.
02-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I suggest doing a lot of research on-line about exposure. The EV meter is telling you when the exposure is too bright, good and too dark. So for example when you were at 1/25 that was not a slow enough speed to let in enough light for the photo to be properly exposed and your photo turned out dark. When you move it to .4sec the shutter was open too long let too much light in and therefore the photo was too bright. That means that somewhere between 1/25 and .4sec was the correct exposure.

**Now having said that there are other factors that control the exposure of your photo, ISO and aperture. There is just way to much to explain to you on how to get a proper exposure but a good way to start is to put the camera into Auto mode, focus on various things in various lighting conditions and pay close attention to what happens to the shutter speed and aperture. Then change the ISO to the various steps and do the same thing. Good Luck!
02-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the definition KxBlaze,

I've been playing with all the auto modes, and some what understand how aperture, shutter speed, iso works...but need a lot of educating to do.

I thought when i'm in M mode, i can control all the aspects, even the EV meter. Will have to read up more on this.

thanks

02-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tehmole Quote
Thank you for the definition KxBlaze,

I've been playing with all the auto modes, and some what understand how aperture, shutter speed, iso works...but need a lot of educating to do.

I thought when i'm in M mode, i can control all the aspects, even the EV meter. Will have to read up more on this.

thanks
Manual means manual control of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed. If you want to control the EV bar you have to be in Av or Tv (don't have my camera here and never use those modes but I think that's what they are called). I believe in Av mode you set the aperture and the shutter speed will change by itself to give the proper exposure. In Tv I believe you set the shutter speed and the aperture changes accordingly. In both modes you can switch to the EV bar, change it to the + or - side and it will change the settings accordingly for you. Once I get to my camera I will confirm this for you and let you know for sure how each works.
02-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
you are correct on that Blaze. I thought if you're in the M mode, you can pretty much control everything to your desire. I see that you can't control the EV if in M mode.

Going to look around to see if there's a way to over ride it and manually control the EV bar in M mode.
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You keep talking about controlling the EV meter in manual mode, why do you even want to control the EV meter? I think you are getting yourself seriously confused.

As has been pointed out; in manual mode the EV meter compares your exposure settings to what the camera thinks should be correct exposure. In auto modes the EV bar is EV compensation to bias the EV level the meter reads up or down.

The best way to learn the basics of photography is not to play in manual mode, the best way to learn is read about exposure, "Understanding Exposure" is a great book to start with, or google the phrase "exposure triangle"

Last edited by twitch; 02-17-2011 at 09:29 PM.
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In M mode the EV bar is acting as a meter so you can choose the correct aperture, shutter speed and ISO. In Tv and AV modes you can change the EV bar, telling the camera what exposure you want. Eg. in AV you set your aperture and then the camera sets the shutter speed according to what you have set on the EV bar. Allowing you to under/over expose you photo
02-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second twitch's post: Understanding Exposure (by Bryan Peterson) is worth every penny I spent on it.

Thanks to my trusty old Pentax K1000, I knew a bit about exposure, shutter speed, aperature and ISO, but translating that to the digital camera was a bit of a learning curve. The Peterson book helped.

Also, it does help to start with Av or Tv modes--see how your changes to aperature or to shutter speed changes the other settings.

One more thing: remember that in M mode, if you get totally out of whack, hit the Green Button. It will set things so your EV bar back to zero, and you can start again.

Best wishes,
hray

Last edited by hray; 02-19-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: mistyped