Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is it a bad idea to blow into the e-dial?

I've only had my K-x for a few months, and since day one, the e-dial has been buggy. It skips ahead and back randomly, and it's hard as heck to get to the correct setting. I read somewhere that you could spray contact cleaner in there, but I didn't have any, so I looked for an alternate solution. Then I read that you could blow into it, and it might clear it up. I did, and it did. It works for a while. I'm wondering, though, if it's a bad idea? I mean, I assume it's either blowing the dust away or the moisture in my breath is lubricating it a bit (which seems like it could be a bad idea). What do you guys think?

02-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
I've only had my K-x for a few months, and since day one, the e-dial has been buggy. It skips ahead and back randomly, and it's hard as heck to get to the correct setting. I read somewhere that you could spray contact cleaner in there, but I didn't have any, so I looked for an alternate solution. Then I read that you could blow into it, and it might clear it up. I did, and it did. It works for a while. I'm wondering, though, if it's a bad idea? I mean, I assume it's either blowing the dust away or the moisture in my breath is lubricating it a bit (which seems like it could be a bad idea). What do you guys think?
If anything, the moisture in your breath would be harmful than beneficial. If blowing on the e-dial works for you, try using a large bulb blower instead of your breath. Mount the camera to a tripod or set it down on a beanbag to keep it secure, hold the nozzle against the e-dial and squeeze the bulb repeatedly. You can try canned air but there is a chance that the liquid propellant might shoot out into the e-dial.

If you bought the camera new, you might try contacting Pentax Canada for warranty service.
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
If anything, the moisture in your breath would be harmful than beneficial. If blowing on the e-dial works for you, try using a large bulb blower instead of your breath. Mount the camera to a tripod or set it down on a beanbag to keep it secure, hold the nozzle against the e-dial and squeeze the bulb repeatedly. You can try canned air but there is a chance that the liquid propellant might shoot out into the e-dial.

If you bought the camera new, you might try contacting Pentax Canada for warranty service.
I bought it online from a US retailer, and I was hoping to avoid the $50 international warranty charge.
02-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Warranty service is your best bet Brenda,Bulb mentioned sounds pretty good
even canned air might work,most propellants are inert and present no danger
but pressure/temperature differential does,and could introduce condensation
where you dont need or want it.I work in electrical construction/service industry
dont maintain consumer goods much,but would not recommend using a contact
cleaner because of press/temp relationship and harshness of chemicals
involved can be somewhat destructive to fragile consumer goods.
Dis-assembly and cleaning is usally best coarse of action.

02-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you really want to, and be sure of its safety for the camera, use a rocket blower bulb to do the job for you.
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Do not blow into the camera, blow across it (with a blower of course).

This will create an area of low pressure outside the camera. The dust will go from the high pressure area inside the camera to the low pressure area. Do a search on "Bernoulli's principle" for the theory.

Or run this simple experiment (you can use it to impress your kids): Roll a piece of paper into a small ball. Hold a bottle horizontally and put the paper ball at the mouth of the bottle. Try to blow the paper ball into the bottle.

This is why people standing next to a railroad can be pulled into a fast moving train.
02-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
Judging from your statement the issue gets “fixed” temporarily but then reoccurs after awhile. If I were to guess, unless you regularly use your camera in a harsh environment, chances are there may be more to it than just dust that is causing your problem. Without getting into technical details, I have worked on intermittent failures caused by poor contacts that actually responded to adjacent cooling fans.

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Warranty service is your best bet Brenda,Bulb mentioned sounds pretty good
even canned air might work,most propellants are inert and present no danger
but pressure/temperature differential does,and could introduce condensation
where you dont need or want it.I work in electrical construction/service industry
dont maintain consumer goods much,but would not recommend using a contact
cleaner because of press/temp relationship and harshness of chemicals
involved can be somewhat destructive to fragile consumer goods.
Dis-assembly and cleaning is usally best coarse of action.
+1.
We’ve never used aerosol contact cleaners in our lab as well for the same reason noted above…and more
One thing for sure you should not be having trouble with your e-dial from day one. I wouldn’t be surprised if the issue gets worse overtime. I suggest spending the $50 for international warranty charge and have your camera repaired. The last thing you want is the e-dial failing to a point where the camera becomes unusable after the warranty has expired.
02-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Do not blow into the camera, blow across it (with a blower of course).

This will create an area of low pressure outside the camera. The dust will go from the high pressure area inside the camera to the low pressure area. Do a search on "Bernoulli's principle" for the theory.

Or run this simple experiment (you can use it to impress your kids): Roll a piece of paper into a small ball. Hold a bottle horizontally and put the paper ball at the mouth of the bottle. Try to blow the paper ball into the bottle.

This is why people standing next to a railroad can be pulled into a fast moving train.
You would have to have a hell of a blower to get dust out that way.

02-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about sucking the dust out!
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #10

I had this issue with my first k-x. It had the issue from day one. I ended up exchanging it from the place bought it from.
02-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
How about sucking the dust out!
I'm not opposed to that. lol

It seems to be okay for now, so let's hope it was just some stray dust or a little kink that was worked out. I have a year to send it off for international warranty service, so that option will be there for a bit.