Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks. I guess it's obvious they can be used on a Kx, but is something else needed to make it fit?

02-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think based upon some of your previous experience it would be wise to at least but something new or covered with a respectable warranty.
You state that perhaps previous cameras were a manual slr and a point and shoot. This tells me that the controls and functions of either the K20 or K-x would be equally challenging and unfamiliar from certain viewpoints. So controls, functions would essentially be a fresh learning curve with both camera models.
Ergonomics and size. The K20 will seem huge and heavy compared with the K1000 and pocket camera. The K-x is smaller than the K20 but still feels like a camera when held in your grip. But again, comparing the size of the K20 and K-x is only relative a previous sort of bias.
Performance. Do you want to capture great still images? You have some good advice in other posts. The K20 will give you great images in good light while the K-x will give you good images in not so good light. And pretty cool video. If that is important.
But if for example your $400, used or refurbished K20 has issues or your are afraid of the learning curve you may be out of luck if you cannot return the camera. If you get a $600 new K-x and find it is not working well or not what you hoped for you may be able to return it.
02-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Apples and oranges. K20D has tethering, better controls and ergonomics, everything mentioned above. Kx has high ISO and video, etc. Would I be over-simplifying to call the K20D a work camera and the Kx a play camera? Or better, a semi-pro cam vs a beginner's cam. I hate beginner's cams. They imply that you'll need to 'upgrade' in the foreseeable future. Ick.

Is one harder to learn to use? I'd shot for a long time but my K20D was my first dSLR, and I didn't really have a hard time learning to se it. MASTERING it is something else -- 2.8 years later, I'm still finding new twists and details. I haven't use a Kx but the K20D controls do seem to be better. And a refurbished K20D should be "good as new" with a long life ahead of it. I expect mine to serve well for several more years.

To shoot video and dimly-lit action, get a Kx. For anything else, get a refurbed K20D.
02-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
K20D = intervalometer, focus points in viewfinder, battery grip, weather resistant. dedicated SR switch, 2 dials.
K-x - high ISO performance, small size.

The reason you see so many K10D/K20D shots is they have been out longer.
perfetto resoconto , sono daccordo .

io senza dubbio la k20