Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma 28-200mm Lens (F3.5-5.6) for Pentax K-x

I have a Pentax K-x and I got a stock 18-55mm lens with it.
Now I had an old Pentax camera for which I bought a Sigma 28-200mm lens for it (15 years ago).

Now this Sigma 28-200mm lens I attached to the new Pentax K-x and started taking photos with it using a tripod stand.
Now I am facing a few problems with it.

When I'm taking photos at night (cruising yachts), it comes out shaky. I have tried at every ISO and every mode too. Only at ISO above 3200 it comes normal, but very grainy. And at ISO below 3200 it comes out blurry.

How do I fix this? Cause with the standard Pentax 18-55mm lens, I am not facing this problem.

02-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auzern, can you perhaps post one of the photo's you talk about, with the EXIF included, that might help us identify the problem?
02-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agree with altopiet.

Some thoughts though (while we're waiting for an image and exif):
1)
Shake reduction; switch it off when using a tripod. Better, use the 2 second timer (mirror lockup) as this will disable the SR and gives the 'system' time to become stable again after you pushed the button (assuming you don't use a remote) and the mirror went up.
2)
Cheap tripod; if the tripod is not sturdy, the slightest movement when you push the shutter (or vibrations from the mirror going up) might take a while to dampen so the whole combo will shake. Mirror lockup will help a little but not necessarily completely (as the combination might still be shaking after 2 seconds).
02-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, altopiet and sterretje.
I have attached one of the photos that I shot at ISO-200.
I always use a 2 second timer to get it all stable and confirm that their is no shake.

But my shake reduction is always on. I will retry it with turning it off
And also when there is nothing moving, the image does not come very clear like it used to come with the 18-55mm lens. Why is that so?

Last edited by Auzern; 02-28-2011 at 09:53 AM.
02-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It seems as if the boat was moving, if I look at its wake. What shutter speed did you use?
02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzern Quote
I always use a 2 second timer to get it all stable and confirm that their is no shake.

But my shake reduction is always on. I will retry it with turning it off
The camera automatically disables SR when you use any of the timer/remote modes.

However, if your tripod is not really solid, you'll have problems anyway. For testing, just set it on something solid, like a bench, and use the timer.
02-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It seems as if the boat was moving, if I look at its wake. What shutter speed did you use?
I do not remember the shutter speed. I was experimenting a lot and I have taken the shot in various modes but I never found an option in the camera to adjust the shutter speed. Where is it located?

02-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looking at the photo again, it seems as if everything stationary is in focus, and the moving objects not. In my opinion, you can try Tv mode(on your mode dial) and set the shutter speed to 1/125-1/200. Try auto ISO between 200-3200/6400 The higher shutter speed should freeze the movement of the object you want in focus, and automatically adjust the aperture and ISO according to the light available.

Some people actually do those kind of shots (like the one you posted) on purpose, to create the special effect.
02-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzern Quote
I do not remember the shutter speed....
You don't have to remember That info is stored in the so-called EXIF info inside the photo that you take.

Most (if not all) photo-editing software should be able to display that info when you have the 'original' photo opened. Once you modify the photo and save it, the exif might be stripped of (depending on the software that you use and the options that you select).

The exif was stripped off while you prepared your photo for upload (e.g. you used an option like 'publish for web' or whatever it's called which might strip the exif data.). So go back to the original photo and check the exif for the shutter speed, aperture and iso.

And the next time that you post an image (for help), find a way to resize the original without stripping the exif info. Just learn to use the software