Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax KE mount?

hallo,

I've been given a nice 400mm f6,3 lens with Pentax mount, or so I thought at least.
I figured it would be one of those M42 screwmount lenses and purchased an adapter for that purpase. Unfortunately it seems to be another sort of Pentax mount from the not so recent past I'm afraid... It says "KE" somewhere on the lens mount; I included a picture of the lens mount with the original package of the lens with written on it "Pentax fitting". The diameter of the inner tube so to say of this mount is 3,3 centimeters with an inner thread.
Is there someone out there who knows what sort of mount this is and what I need, if possible at all, to attach this lens to my Pentax K-7/K-x?

Regards, Arnoud

Attached Images

02-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Banned

it looks like a basic Kmount from the photo. there are only two ‘Pentax’ mounts: M42 and K. have you simply tried mounting it to your camera?
02-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this by any chance a T mount lens? The K mount will unscrew and you can put a different one on if desired but the thread is not an M42. Now that you have the adapter, you can start collecting Takumars

02-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
mount in two parts

I've been fiddling around with the lens to see what fits where.
The first part does screw of I found out; than you have a screwmount which does not seem to fit on my m42 to k mount adapter however. The thread does not correspond with the thread on the adapter; it makes a stroke or so when you try to screw it on and than it stops.
It seems like this must be the "T" adapter mentioned.
I can't use on my Penatax cameras than so it seems, but, true, I can start to collect other M42 screwmount lenses to attach to the M42 to K mount adapter I now own. A pity I can't use the adapter to attach this specific lens to my pentax cameras, but I will start looking for other Pentax M42 lenses on the internet!

Thanks, regards, Arnoud

02-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturefreak Quote
I've been fiddling around with the lens to see what fits where.
The first part does screw of I found out; than you have a screwmount which does not seem to fit on my m42 to k mount adapter however. The thread does not correspond with the thread on the adapter; it makes a stroke or so when you try to screw it on and than it stops.
It seems like this must be the "T" adapter mentioned.
I can't use on my Penatax cameras than so it seems, but, true, I can start to collect other M42 screwmount lenses to attach to the M42 to K mount adapter I now own. A pity I can't use the adapter to attach this specific lens to my pentax cameras, but I will start looking for other Pentax M42 lenses on the internet!

Thanks, regards, Arnoud
You most certainly can use it on your camera. Just leave the T mount adapter on. In the custom menu, there is an option that says Allow Aperture Ring. Make sure its set to permitted.

02-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If the camera end of the lens unscrews and can be removed, then you almost certainly have a t-mount lens. This mounting system is very common on these long (400mm, 500mm) inexpensive lenses.

The t-mount system has been around for fifty years or more. It was designed to be a universal mounting system. As far as I know, there has never been a camera made that took t-mount lenses directly. All require an adapter. The beauty, and the intent of the system, was two-fold. If allowed camera stores to stock a wide variety of lenses, with a stock of appropriate adapters for various cameras, rather than having the same lens in Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Exacta, Pentax, Miranda, Yashica, mounts.

Secondly, if a camera owner switched from Nikon to Pentax, he/she didn't have to buy all new lenses. All that was needed was a new adapter.

I don't believe that any camera makers ever bought into the t-mount system. It was used almost exclusively by third-party lens makers.

This system worked very well for completely manual lenses. However, as automatic aperture lenses became popular, the t-mount system fell out of favor. There was an attempt to update it, with the T-4 and T-X systems, but they did not really catch on, all that well.

Many brands used the t-mount system, but I have only seen T-4 or T-x lenses from Vivitar and Soligor.

The t-mount system is also used, even today, for attaching cameras to microscopes and telescopes.

Do NOT attempt to screw a t-mount lens onto an M42 camera. While the threads look similar, they are different. M42 is 42mm x 1.0 thread per mm (coarse), while the t-mount is 42mm x 0.75 tpmm (fine). Screwing the lens onto an M42 camera without the appropriate adapter can damage the threads on both the lens and camera.

T-mount adapters are still available for a variety of cameras. A good camera store should be able to order one, if they don't stock them. eBay is full of them.
02-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can get a T-mount adapter from B&H if everything else fails. Maybe try your local astronomy supplier.
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/116742-REG/General_Brand_ATPK_T_Mount_SLR_Camera_Adapter.html

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-20-2011 at 11:33 AM.
02-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
T-mount adapter

Thanks for all this important info!! I really had no clue as to what I should or could do with this lens and never heard of T-mount adapters and such. But since I got this lens for free it felt like a good thing to spent at least some time and effort as to what this lens is al about.
I've learnt a lot more and will ask my local dealer if he can get a hold of a T-mount adapter; if not, I can order one at B&H.
Thanks again, regards, Arnoud
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Just following up this thread, cant find anything on the 'KE' on google.

I have a prinz galaxy 135mm f/2.8, the bottom of the lens says ' KE japan'. The mount looks like K mount but smaller in diameter, approx 35mm across, ive posted a picture + comparison to pentax K.

If anyone has any info on this that would be great. I read about the T mount, but from what i gather this is a screw mount, not a bayonet style.

Any info is much appreciated.

03-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KE stands for "Kine-Exakta" - normally just called an Exakta mount. The Exakta SLR dates back to about 1936, made in Germany. After WWII they were in East Germany. Very wide variety of lenses were available for them, and an expensive system in the 1950s. It's the camera used by Jimmy Stewart in the Hitchcock movie "Rear Window" from 1954.
Name:  KE.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  287.2 KB
03-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
KE stands for "Kine-Exakta" - normally just called an Exakta mount. The Exakta SLR dates back to about 1936, made in Germany. After WWII they were in East Germany. Very wide variety of lenses were available for them, and an expensive system in the 1950s. It's the camera used by Jimmy Stewart in the Hitchcock movie "Rear Window" from 1954.
Attachment 163969
Hi, Thanks for this info! Very helpful, now to see if there are any adapters avaliable to mount this nice lens on a digital camera
03-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fabian628 Quote
Hi, Thanks for this info! Very helpful, now to see if there are any adapters avaliable to mount this nice lens on a digital camera
There are no Exakta to K-mount adapters. The focal flange distance for Exakta is shorter than K-mount.

A couple of years ago RioRico posted a home brew solution...

ANNOUNCING: Easy cheap non-destructive Exakta-Pentax adapter
03-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fabian628 Quote
On your lens it also looks like a "T-mount" - where the KE mount is an adapter. It should just unscrew and allow you to put any number of other mounts on it to fit the camera of your choice.
03-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
On your lens it also looks like a "T-mount" - where the KE mount is an adapter. It should just unscrew and allow you to put any number of other mounts on it to fit the camera of your choice.
wow!, yes it does unscrew. I would have never tried this. Very helpful advice. I will try to use T to m42 mount. My aim is getting it on canon EF mount
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #15

Is there anyway to use a KE mount on A nikon d40x? I unscrewed it and I don't know what mount to get to mount it on my nikon.