Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

updating firmware

I am planning to update the firmware in my K110d in the near future. Any thing I shoul;d be aware of before making the attempt. Thanks for your help in advance.

02-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I updated my Kx I was told to use an AC adapter (if possible), if not then make sure to use brand new lithium batteries, to make sure your camera does not shut down due to power loss. Use a freshly formatted memory card and lastly make sure you do not hit any buttons or turn the camera off until the update is completely done.
02-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gimp Quote
I am planning to update the firmware in my K110d in the near future. Any thing I shoul;d be aware of before making the attempt. Thanks for your help in advance.
Read the instructions fully on the download webpage that I have supplied below and follow them exactly, step by step. Have it onscreen for reference when you do the update on the camera.
And if you do that, have no fear, everything will be easy and go smoothly. Done.

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-19-2011 at 08:55 AM.
02-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't know what the root directory of the sd card is. Please advise---thanks

02-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gimp Quote
I don't know what the root directory of the sd card is. Please advise---thanks
Root directory means base, parent, main or core directory, that holistic storage container-space of the card that exists directly at the drive letter assignment of the card.

Sub, or Branch, directories are typically contained and visible within the root directory, also files can be placed there too for storage.

Root directory - Google jM

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-20-2011 at 01:31 AM.
02-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to be absolutely clear on that, when you insert your SD card into your card reader, it will normally come up on your computer monitor showing a folder called DCIM, which contains folders with your photos in them. On a freshly-formatted card it'll just be blank (no DCIM). To update your firmware it's strongly recommended that you use a freshly-formatted card, so when you open it up you'll just see a blank. Put your update file there. That's the root directory. As others have said, follow the instructions carefully, take your time and in 90 seconds or so you'll have an updated camera. It will now make you a cup of coffee, massage your feet and put you to bed. Unfortunately, it won't print dollar bills. We're all waiting for that one...

Last edited by Wombat; 02-20-2011 at 01:35 AM.
02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
... an updated camera. It will now make you a cup of coffee, massage your feet and put you to bed. Unfortunately, it won't print dollar bills. We're all waiting for that one...
Will it brew beer for me?
02-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Will it brew beer for me?
That option's only available in the Xtra Pro Mk IV Limited Edition Special model if you order a double side serving of French fries with the camera on tuesdays between 12 and 2 pm.

.R.

02-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for your assistance. The first attempt did not work. I reread the instrctions and found out where I was going wrong and was successful on the attempt. Thanks again----Tom