Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Have you tried Henrys for the Genuine Adapter? I recall it was only $70 last time I checked. Still pretty expensive but the Genuine one is definitely worth it over the third party ones where issues can arise. I was luck and I purchased mine from a local camera store that was willing to sell it for the price they purchased it for which was $25. Lucky me!

02-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaron.hollows Quote
Sorry - meant to write 135mm 2.5 (non-SMC). The forum doesn't say what mount it is, but the pics look like a screw mount, I think (isn't the pin-thingy on the mount a giveaway?).
Is it This one (m42 K mount, get an adapter)

Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR/Super-Takumar 135mm F2.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Or is it this one.. (K mount, no adapter needed).

Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

02-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have two genuine M42 adapters bought on ebay under $35 a couple of years ago, and they are great and worth it. I found another one on fleabay for around $10 recently (waiting for it now). It is supposed to match the genuine one and can focus to infinity. I will find out once I receive it.
06-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #19

Screw mount adapter pricing, Canadian perspective

I have just signed up for the forums so I thought I'd through in my 2 cents worth. (actually, about 90 dollars worth!)

I found the Pentax M42 adapter at .pentaxwebstore.com (USA) for $31.00 US. In Canada, where I live, two major web/chain stores had it for $89.00.

Hmmm. That almost made me not buy a Pentax. Not because I didn't think the cameras (ended up with a K5) were good but I don't like being taken advantage of and that is what this seemed like. I asked for an explanation from both those major stores and each replied to me. One said essentially that they base their retail price on their cost. Of course. That makes sense. The other chain suggested that I ask Pentax Canada why , "in a global marketplace, regional pricing" was so far out of whack. I did and either got no reply or one that could not justify the pricing; I did not keep that reply if I got one.

I asked Pentax USA about selling me one form their site- they don't ship outside the US.

So I ended up putting off my purchase for about a year. Which worked out for the best. I was able to get a significant price reduction on the camera. Partly that was because the Canadian dollar is now higher than the US. I know this fluctuates so retailers can't afford to jump up or down each time there is a temporary shift. But the Can. $ has been at par or higher than the US$ for months now and will likely stay there for a while. So US goods should be cheaper for Canadians.

Now as I look at the cost of the adapter at those two Canadian retailers they are still $89.95 and $89.99. At .pentaxwebstore.com, still $30.95 US- about $29.00 Can.

I used to be in business so I'm sympathetic to making a buck in exchange for service or product. But I still have a bad taste in my mouth about it. I will not be buying a new Pentax ring because it is unreasonably priced and I cannot afford it. I will probably buy a second hand one or two and no Pentax dealer will make a nickel.

06-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmatt Quote
Hi All,
They also offer Purolator ground shipping at $9 but that will include an unknown amount of brokerage fees.
There shouldn't be any since B&H will calculate the HST, brokerage fee and shipping when you go to the checkout.
06-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrmatt Quote
Hi All,
I am looking for an M42 screwmount to pentax K mount adapter. I live in Canada and at a few camera stores I have checked here the genuine Pentax adapter is $90! I refuse to pay that since it is only $20 at B&H. However, at B&H the shipping is $27 which seems huge. They also offer Purolator ground shipping at $9 but that will include an unknown amount of brokerage fees.
You will often see one in market for avg price of $30-35, might be a best bet for you.
04-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #22

I ordered one from pentaxwebstore.com and I just got an email that the product has been discontinued...
'The adapter in question has been discontinued and is no longer available. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. "

I hate purolator or I'd buy one from B&H, all their other shipping is really pricey.

Last edited by metameat; 04-24-2012 at 09:49 AM.
04-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by metameat Quote
I ordered one from pentaxwebstore.com and I just got an email that the product has been discontinued...
'The adapter in question has been discontinued and is no longer available. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. "

I hate purolator or I'd buy one from B&H, all their other shipping is really pricey.
If Pentax has discontinued it I'd buy it from B&H asap if I were you. In fact, after grousing about the ridiculous price here in Canada, and even though I try my best to support Canadian retailers, I could not justify buying on this side of the border. Pentax has what was called "regional pricing" in effect so Canadian dealers were being charged more, it would seem, than US end users.So I went to B&H and for less than the price of one at Vistek or Henrys including transportation and taxes) I got two genuine adapters.

The silly thing was, after all that, the zoom lens I had covered pretty much what I got out of using the adapters. I will still use them when I have lots of time to play with lenses but for daily shooting, they turned out not to be much help to me.
04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #24

I ended up buying a "genuine Pentax K 30120 Mount Adapter" from Japan through eBay for $48 US + $12.80 shipping - in the picture it has the Pentax logo... hopefully I'm not being scammed. B&H is out of stock right now anyhow, the $31.25 shipping (least expensive non-courier option) aside.
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by metameat Quote
'The adapter in question has been discontinued and is no longer available. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Ain't that a kick in the head! It was always the #1 seller at the website.... WTF! There is a company in ENgland that makes a GOOD adapter but unfortunatly I forget the name.
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H is showing it "temporarily out of stock" at the moment. This doesn't look good I've held off buying one since I knew it was available at the webstore, but now....I guess be prepared to pay more for a genuine or else go for the cheapy ones...
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The good news is that some of the off-market adapters are equally well done. You have to look for them on Ebay. I have used them and am happy. Do not buy the one that is just a flange, no that is not good. Also, the adapter goes on the CAMERA, not on the lens.
04-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #28

Pepe- I learned the adapter goes ont eh camera, the expensive way, after ordering two. Oh well, once the adapter market hits $1000.00 a piece, I'll sell one and retire!

Paulh- if you ask B&H they might be able to tell you if they expect any at any time. When I did order mine form them, they were marked "temporarily out of stock" too. It took a coupel of months but they did come in. It might be a case of pent-up (Pentax-up?) orders triggering a manufacturing run.
04-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
Forum Member

Check the Pentax webstore - they have had a price reduction and I bought one for $21.95 (US) the end of March. It is listed as Part # 30120 Mount Adapter K. I did have to pay shipping, but even so the total cost was still under $30.00. It comes in a nice little plastic package with "instructions". The instructions tell you to use a ballpoint pen to attach and remove the adapter, but I found that a small screw driver is better since the tip of the blade is exactly the same size as the slot on the adapter.
04-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
Check the Pentax webstore - they have had a price reduction and I bought one for $21.95 (US) the end of March. It is listed as Part # 30120 Mount Adapter K. I did have to pay shipping, but even so the total cost was still under $30.00. It comes in a nice little plastic package with "instructions". The instructions tell you to use a ballpoint pen to attach and remove the adapter, but I found that a small screw driver is better since the tip of the blade is exactly the same size as the slot on the adapter.
Pentax Mount Adapter K has been discontinued. Pentax no longer sells it.