Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Check Ebay, those who have it are charging very high prices, but still lower than what they will charge in few months. Having Takumars justify a small investment of $56 for an adapter.

04-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Not sure why everybody is insitent on getting a geniune Pentax adapter.

I have been using a knock off for quite a while and haven't had any problems with it.

At some point I am going to buy some more and do a semi-permanent conversion of my m42 lenses.

For $5.99 a piece shipped, it makes a lot more sense to do a conversion than to deal with the hassle of mounting the adapter to the camera every time I want to use an m42 lens.

For K-x K-m K-7 M42 Lens to Pentax PK Adapter Ring Infinity Focus | eBay
05-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #33
rfg

It is still on the Pentax Australia site (for $59 though).
05-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Not sure why everybody is insitent on getting a geniune Pentax adapter.

I have been using a knock off for quite a while and haven't had any problems with it.

At some point I am going to buy some more and do a semi-permanent conversion of my m42 lenses.

For $5.99 a piece shipped, it makes a lot more sense to do a conversion than to deal with the hassle of mounting the adapter to the camera every time I want to use an m42 lens.

For K-x K-m K-7 M42 Lens to Pentax PK Adapter Ring Infinity Focus | eBay

It seems one of my adaptors, and although it was the most precise focus-wise and the lens was bang straight, I had problems with the aperture lever. I found that this lever was pushed more than necessary and having to compare another already tried ring (but with such a messed up infinity that I had to sand it down so much that now the lens dials are facing down) I tried to expose at f/16 on a sunny day, and with 200ASA film I got on the light meter 1/2000, while the other ring gave 1/250. Basically the slot for the lever was shifted, and I had to file it to make it work.
This is what people complain about knock off rings: can't believe that it shouldn't be so difficult to grab an original Pentax ring, copy it accurately and having a top-notch product... still in every ring I tried (3 different ones so far), they managed to **** up at some point.

Please see photos below:

Comparison between the two rings

First, skimmed ring with correct aperture

Second ring, like the one of your link. At least, it seems like it looking at the tool to remove it.

From the side

And here with a K mount lens, to show where the internal lever of the lens pushes the body lever.

For this reason I will get the real thing as soon as there is an economically suitable chance (read bargain), I know it's a hefty price for a metal ring, but man... all the rest is real garbage!

Edit: I have been censored, lol! sorry!!!

Last edited by ElStellino; 05-04-2012 at 07:56 AM.
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW, I just checked the Pentax Webstore, and they are showing the genuine Pentax adapter "in stock" . It was showing "discontinued item" last week. PentaxWebstore.com: Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
FWIW, I just checked the Pentax Webstore, and they are showing the genuine Pentax adapter "in stock" . It was showing "discontinued item" last week. PentaxWebstore.com: Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
That's cheap!!! In ebay UK it sells at £35!!!! (which is roughly double that price)
I will check with my US contacts in g+ if I can get one shipped to them, cheers!
05-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
they are showing the genuine Pentax adapter "in stock" . It was showing "discontinued item" last week
Excellent to see it's back, wonder what that was all about. Really gave me a scunnar to see it discontinued.

05-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by metameat Quote
I ended up buying a "genuine Pentax K 30120 Mount Adapter" from Japan through eBay for $48 US + $12.80 shipping - in the picture it has the Pentax logo... hopefully I'm not being scammed. B&H is out of stock right now anyhow, the $31.25 shipping (least expensive non-courier option) aside.
Well, it finally arrived in the mail yesterday and it is indeed a genuine Pentax product. There is hope for eBay after all!
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought five more from Pentax, at $21 each. They are back for sale at pentax website.