Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
<snip> Maybe the processor of the 540 got corrupted?
I just had my AF360FGZ in for service. It had been working fine with absolutely NO problems and then all of a sudden the only way it functioned was as an Auto flash. CRIS replaced a main circuit board and now it appears to be working fine. (It better stay that way. I have an important shoot this weekend.)
Brian T

04-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #17

I managed to check/measure the flash foot and all connections are working ok, the right way.

It's very strange. Maybe the processor of the 540 got corrupted?
I have just the same situation. I do my best to put it right, and it doesn't help And the same issue with that flash on 2 cameras - K20 and K200. So the only solution seems to be to give it for service?

Last edited by DimitryMD; 04-19-2011 at 05:29 AM.
04-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi all

My Pentax 540 FGZ flash is acting strange, meaning, it works perfectly while on wireless but if on camera it fires but image is always black, like if it doesn't fire on the right "curtain" moment.

(I tested with another flash and it works all ok, so it's not a camera problem.)

Any help?

Thanks in advance
Netuser,
Did you ever solve this problem?
My only added qualification question is How are you firing it when it works perfectly wirelessly? Are you using the onboard flash to trigger it? Is it possible that it works "perfectly" because the onboard flash perfectly exposed the shot?
04-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Did you take the lens cap off?

04-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
I too am suddenly having problems with my AF 540 going completely haywire (blinking menu screen, unreliable AF assist beam, disappearance of P-ttl) after just a few shots. The problem first surfaced about 3 shoots ago, after about an hour of reliable P-ttl shooting. Now it's down to 10 shots or less before it starts acting up so it can't be trusted anymore. I've been using the 360 instead but now have no back up flash.

May I ask, what the approximate cost of a repair? I'm debating whether to repair or replace.
04-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I had my AF360FGZ repaired by CRIS. They had to replace a PCBoard. it was roughly $160 (including return shipping). It has worked fine since the repair.
04-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Thanks. Certainly sounds worth a try for mine as well. Best of luck.

04-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Netuser,
Did you ever solve this problem?
My only added qualification question is How are you firing it when it works perfectly wirelessly? Are you using the onboard flash to trigger it? Is it possible that it works "perfectly" because the onboard flash perfectly exposed the shot?
I'm using 360 for now....

Not so much time to shoot anyway

Will send in to repair soon...
06-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #24

QuoteQuote:
Will send in to repair soon...
If - or when - you'll get it done, please let us know here!
04-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Issues w/ Pentax AF-540ftg

Evening,

I've read the posts of the issues w/ this Pentax product. And, I have had similar ones. My problems were encountered using the 540 on a K-7. After one or two uses, the unit would not "re-charge". The flash would not synchronize

I started using an older Sigma unit that functioned appropriately. So, was not the camera body.

After two tries, CRJ (I live in MetroAtlanta) came back with a price to repair of approximately $160.00 for a new board and one other item. Sound familiar.

So, it postulate that Pentax has issues with this product. Darn shame they are not extending the warranty. I think it is odd that one would need a new circuit board on a flash.