Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Recommended NOOB Pentax DSLR?

I have a k20d that I'm happy with and want to bring my stepson into the Pentax fold. I'm looking to buy a used Pentax DSLR body that is able to use DA lenses (and, of course, legacy lenses) Do all Pentax DSLR's allow full functioning of lenses? Autofocus, etc... K100d vs K100super?

Thanks,
Peter G.

p.s. I plan to pass on my 18-55 DA kit lens so then I'll "need" another lens...or two..

02-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a K-x, as the 6 MP bodies have outdated sensors and aren't much cheaper than a used K-x.

As far as compatibility goes, all Pentax DSLRs work with all Pentax lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
pass him your k20d and you will have a need for new body.

02-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by josephleaf Quote
pass him your k20d and you will have a need for new body.
That was my first thought, and the green mode suffices for all the point & shoot situations your step son may have before wishing to venture into the less automated modes.

But I also agree with Adam - the K-x is probably the best value camera you'll get today. The K-r the next best, then perhaps a second hand K20D.
02-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for passing your K20 and you getting a new camera (a K5). But if you want to get him a camera +1 for the Kx. It is an amazing entry-level DSLR. Very easy to use and renders sharp, clean, colorful photos and can be had for <$400 used.
02-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If he's an outdoors kid, the weather sealing of the K20d would be something to consider.
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
ASa

I would also bring K10D to the game, as at least for me the learning curve wasn't too steep. It's a great camera to handle, and the ergonomics are pretty intuitive. A big bonus for me was the upper display and weather sealing, which are not that common in all entry level DSLR's. Of course the sensor isn't as sophisticated as the one in K-x or K-r, but I've been satisfied with it.

02-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K10d or K20d are, I think, cameras which have great attributes as student cameras, (As electronic things go) If your stepson wishes to learn, I might look for those.

K-x es right now seem to be among the best all-around deals, otherwise. You could learn on one, also it'll make nice images for people not wanting to get too involved.

The way I demystify my K20d for people who are a bit intimidated by all the buttons is to say, 'Believe me, it's easier this way, there's a button for near everything. They could add some more, really. The only thing is most people wouldn't use em and why pay for them if you won't.'

I wouldn't consider it selfish to get yourself a K-5, or certainly a K-7 at the going rate, and pass down the K20d, if he really wants to learn photo: it's a great machine for that.

If it's more a knocking-around-maybe-interested-in-more-thing, a K-x would be perfectly good. Depends how much he'd like to learn, really.