Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Am I doing Wrong??

Got my Pentax A 50mm 1.7 today. I have attached it to the camera (K100D). The AV -- readout is flashing and I can't press the shutter release button. Is there something I am not doing right or something that I am missing with this lens?

02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe set the aperture ring to 'A'?
02-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What wlachan said. Make sure the aperture ring is set all the way over to the "A" setting. It should lock in place. It is the green "A" seen in this shot here
Also make sure the electrical contact on the base of the lens is clean, you can clean it with a pencil eraser.

NaCl(if neither of those things work come back and we'll try to figure out something else to try)H2O
02-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a small button you have to press, before you can rotate the Aperture ring to engage the "A" position. You can see in NACLH2O's linked image.

You may be all the way over on your aperture ring next-to the "A" position, but not actually in "A" position.

-W

02-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got it!!!! Thanks so much! I thought that maybe I was ripped off by the seller.
02-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want to use the aperture ring to set the aperture you will need to set Using Aperture Ring to Permitted in the Custom menu.
02-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wormtographer Quote
There is a small button you have to press, before you can rotate the Aperture ring to engage the "A" position. You can see in NACLH2O's linked image.

You may be all the way over on your aperture ring next-to the "A" position, but not actually in "A" position.

-W
Do you mean the small black button to the left of the "A", or do you mean the white button to the right? If you aren't talking about the white one, what is its purpose?

02-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Small black button to the left of the A
02-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Do you mean the small black button to the left of the "A", or do you mean the white button to the right? If you aren't talking about the white one, what is its purpose?
Sorry... the infamous Pentax half dome whitish/yellowish thing has no other function that I know of, other than as an actual landmark, presumably (Asahi Co. presumes) where you are expected to hold the lens--so that you are neither on the focus ring (in this case closer to the front lens element) nor the aperture ring (in this case closer to the camera body).

So the dome just lets you navigate between focus and aperture rings, while giving you a resting ring for your finger.

How cool is that!
02-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Wormtographer Quote
Sorry... the infamous Pentax half dome whitish/yellowish thing has no other function that I know of, other than as an actual landmark, presumably (Asahi Co. presumes) where you are expected to hold the lens--so that you are neither on the focus ring (in this case closer to the front lens element) nor the aperture ring (in this case closer to the camera body).

So the dome just lets you navigate between focus and aperture rings, while giving you a resting ring for your finger.

How cool is that!
Nope.

The dome is an aid to mounting the lens. The dome must match the lens release lever on the body when mounting the lens. Well, that was in the non-autofocus camera days, now the lens release button has moved It is/was much easier to match the dome (which you can feel with your finger and hence use in the dark) with the release lever than try to find and match the two small red dots

I guess I just revealed my age...
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Nope.

The dome is an aid to mounting the lens. The dome must match the lens release lever on the body when mounting the lens. Well, that was in the non-autofocus camera days, now the lens release button has moved It is/was much easier to match the dome (which you can feel with your finger and hence use in the dark) with the release lever than try to find and match the two small red dots

I guess I just revealed my age...
And all this time I've just been matching-up red dots...Oy!

The dome is still a landmark, though--the facts just make it more useful and less cool.
02-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your reply. I have both the SMC Pentax-A & M f/2.0. I got them off ebay about a year ago (think I paid about $25 each??), but haven't shot them much at all, if any. I wasn't aware of the purpose of the small black button, and after reading a couple of replies I realized I had not actually gotten the "A" centered on the red mark (had not pressed the black button). BTW, I use the red dots to line up mounting the lens.
02-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
now the lens release button has moved
They sure did move it. Used to be a piece of cake to chance lenses without looking.