Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On a side note, while taking that picture of the lens, I found several fungus growths on my panagor macro....time to put him out in the sun. The fungi are all on the perimeter of the glass, so it seems like it hasn't affected the image...yet.

05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is very easy to dismantle the front and rear elements of a lens yourself. No expensive tools are required. You can borrow a pair of calipers from a workshop or dividers from the geometry box set of a school going child.
Some front element requires a piece of truck rubber tube and a plastic water pipe 6 inch long (for firm grip) with a proper internal diameter. The lens retaining ring screws out with the force of friction. You may need to apply a tiny bit of WD40 with a toothpick around the diameter of the ring for old lenses.
Then use ROR lens cleaner (purchase it from Adorama for $ 9) and try to clean the lens. If the spot remains, send the lens to Mr. Mukul Garg:-
Optical Components,Optic Lenses,Infrared Optical Filters,Meniscus Lenses Manufacturers
mukul garg uniopt@hotmail.com
UNIVERSAL OPTICS.
D-1, INDUSTRIAL ESTATE.
ROORKEE - 247667.
(UTTARAKHAND)
INDIA

He is more than 50% cheaper than that famous co. in the US. Also he is an Industrialist and a highly educated Engineer - few words and no advertisements.
The US Co. talks a lot, frightens you with much negative blah blah about damaging the lens and ends up with charges that leaves a hole in your pocket.
Have attached a photo of my damaged lens that was returned back to me like a shining jewel, new coating and all.

Last edited by nanhi; 11-19-2012 at 08:31 AM.
05-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Some front element requires a piece of truck rubber tube and a plastic water pipe 6 inch long (for firm grip) with a proper internal diameter. The lens retaining ring screws out with the force of friction. You may need to apply a tiny bit of WD40 with a toothpick around the diameter of the ring for old lenses.
A thin disposable rubber glove wrapped round an old plastic rear lens cap works fine for me - not having a truck handy to disassemble

As for the original question - those look like dried up water drops and should come off easily once you get to them.
05-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea KH. Just that in Bangalore it is very easy to get a piece of truck tube rubber from the roadside Tyre Puncture Repair Shops absolutely FREE. Thanks God I was spared from having a Truck handy to disassemble one.
Once I even used a thick double sided scotch tape. I find a piece of tyre tubing safe as it is not easy to puncture and damage the lens retaining ring.
I have seen hollow rubber bungs in various diameters with my local camera repair shop, but these cost a lot.