Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

w90 crappy quality with grain and blur , help!

hi guys , i recently bought a w90 to make it my lovely rugged toy bring it with me during my outdoor adventures, however i was quite surprised when i took the first stills and video, amazed by how grainy and out of focus every picture looked like, especially indoor... i started to think it could have been a bad lens or something similar, but i decided to post a question in here , see if someone experienced the same issue.
to me , it looks like when a dslr has the iso so high that the photo becomes foggy pixelated and really crappy quality...
it's really annoying , my friend with a 50$ camera 8megapixels did better...

is there any setting that i should set ? ive tried almost everything even changing the setting , with or without flash ...

video is the same... the resolution is amazing but it's too foggy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you very much in advance if you can provide good advices

02-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is a glass in front of the lens (of course, because the camera is water proof) maybe that is foggy inside and needs to be cleaned ?
02-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will you post a sample or make us guess?
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a shockproof and waterproof camera with super-rugged body. It is not a DSLR BTW.
It comes with compromises, two main ones are; do not shoot into the sun (bad flare from the waterproof outer element) and do not use in poor lighting (grainy picture due to small sensor and high pixel count).
Other than that, the W`s really rock.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-23-2011 at 06:26 PM.
02-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
ive attached an example ,

talking about foggy , it's probably more grain than fog...

it's so noticeable if u look at the attachment
Attached Images

02-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
For an indoor shot with a compact camera that really doesn't look so bad to me? What ISO and shutter speed did the camera use?

What do outdoor shots in good light look like?

In this review: link there is a night time shot with 800 ISO, and it looks about the same as yours.
02-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You have a shockproof and waterproof camera with super-rugged body. It is not a DSLR BTW.
It comes with compromises, two main ones are; do not shoot into the sun (bad flare from the waterproof outer element) and do not use in poor lighting (grainy picture due to small sensor and high pixel count).
Other than that, the W`s really rock.
Yes, I'll second that. I like mine a lot.
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #8

That doesn't look too bad for a P&S camera. There is a decent (but older) review of "rugged" cameras at the dpreview site where the images from the W90 are clearly inferior to the older W60. It's almost as though the sensor just can't handle the extra resolution so a lot of noise is introduced. But, you should still be able to get good shots in good light. In poor light, no hand-held P&S will do a good job.

02-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
so what do you suggest, keep the ISO very low and always use flash ?
02-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #10

You should consider that the waterproof/tough cameras were designed to be used outdoors in daylight. Or underwater. So they just won't work very well indoors in poor light no matter what. You can turn up the ISO to the highest you find acceptable or use the flash like you suggest.

If you can still return it I would consider doing so and picking up a used W60 or Canon D10. They are a couple steps better. Fujifilm also makes some some cheap decent ones (x10 and z33wp?) waterproof cameras but not as good as the other 2 I mentioned.

I did some research on the subject and finally decided I'd get a used K200d for outdoor use and just deal with the weight of a DSLR. I probably would've bought a D10 if they were affordable but they're not really and simply outdated at this time.
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosham Quote
so what do you suggest, keep the ISO very low and always use flash ?
Yes, I keep the ISO on my W60 on Auto80-400, when indoors I use the flash when I can. Like most point and shoots, anything above 400 is just too grainy on those cameras.

The only time I allow my W60 above iso 400 is when shooting without a flash in awful difficult conditions where I know the pictures will be grainy.

From your picture I'd say you took it without a flash, at high ISO and probably low shutter speed. Take the same photo with ISO locked at 100 or 200 and with flash, it will look completely different.

Pat
03-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #12

Original Poster
thank you very much for the technical advice Pat !!!

im getting some not-bad improvements in overall quality!!