Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How to REMOVE a Pentax 60-300mm PK-A & R-PK Macro Zoom From my K-7

Ok, my Pentax K-7 has arrived-woot!

I purchased a lens:

I aligned the "red dot" just as I had the lens that came with my Pentax and came up with an error, the lens isn't aligned correctly or something.

So, I proceed to take the lens off (using the release button and twist the lens) however, the lens will not come off.

can anyone help?

02-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not to be smart but are you turning the lens to the left if the front of the camera is facing you cause it's happened before it was on my daughters kx and she was scared.
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arimage Quote
Ok, my Pentax K-7 has arrived-woot!

I purchased a lens:

I aligned the "red dot" just as I had the lens that came with my Pentax and came up with an error, the lens isn't aligned correctly or something.

So, I proceed to take the lens off (using the release button and twist the lens) however, the lens will not come off.

can anyone help?
The lens you describe is one of those lenses that has the "Ricoh" pin. There are many threads here on what to do if a lens gets stuck and how to remove the "Ricoh" pin.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/125535-help-old-lens-stuck-new-k-r.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-righ...ens-stuck.html
02-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Not to be smart but are you turning the lens to the left if the front of the camera is facing you cause it's happened before it was on my daughters kx and she was scared.
JACOBY........hee hee, well I was apparently twisting the correct direction I just not with the right amount of force.........after reading here on the forums I discovered it was OK to give it a super good tug! I didn't want to break anything......but have found that that I bought quality, not to be easily broken

Thank you for your reply and willingness to help me out.
~angie

02-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The lens you describe is one of those lenses that has the "Ricoh" pin. There are many threads here on what to do if a lens gets stuck and how to remove the "Ricoh" pin.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/125535-help-old-lens-stuck-new-k-r.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-righ...ens-stuck.html
Boriscleto........thank you SO MUCH!! as a newbie I really didn't know what to search to get results, thus in desperation I had to post.........your reply was ever so helpful!

RESOLUTION: Apparently I just wasn't twisting with the right amount of force.........after reading here on the forums I discovered it was OK to give it a super good tug! I didn't want to break anything......but have found that that I bought quality, not to be easily broken

Thank you for your reply and willingness to help me out.
~angie
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch!
We should really produce some public service announcements that will run late night on limited antenna broadcast stations.
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I have a Vivitar 28mm close focus with the same infamous pin. I found that both the Ricoh and the “A” pins on this lens actually retract if the aperture ring is not set to “A”. You should be able to test and see it with the naked eye if the pins on your lens will do the same. However, as you may have already read about, the pin can be removed easily with the proper tools. Cheers!

02-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I have a Vivitar 28mm close focus with the same infamous pin. I found that both the Ricoh and the “A” pins on this lens actually retract if the aperture ring is not set to “A”. You should be able to test and see it with the naked eye if the pins on your lens will do the same. However, as you may have already read about, the pin can be removed easily with the proper tools. Cheers!
K57XR,
Actually I have no documentation on this particular lens as I bought it second hand off eBay. It seems to be a great lens......I just have to learn how to use it properly

anyone knowing where I can learn more about this lens, I'd love to know of some resources & tutorials.
02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K57XR,
Actually I have no documentation on this particular lens as I bought it second hand off eBay. It seems to be a great lens......I just have to learn how to use it properly

anyone knowing where I can learn more about this lens, I'd love to know of some resources & tutorials.
We will need a little more information on the lens. What is the brand name? Pentax did not make a 60-300mm zoom. Several companies marketed a 60-300 including Sears and Soligor. The most important info is probably printed inside the front rim. On mine Sears Mod No 202 7368300 Korea is printed on the back of the lens just above the aperture ring.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I have a Vivitar 28-200 that does the same thing. But on the 60-300 the Ricoh pin doesn't retract, only the Pentax "A" pin.
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

RESOLUTION: Apparently I just wasn't twisting with the right amount of force.........
Just to make sure: Note that under normal circumstances unmounting a lens is as easy as mounting. No excessive force is necessary.

You should not mount the lens again, until you have found a solution for its offending pin. Either you can make it retract with the aperture ring or you can remove it.

Do not keep forcing it off, it might wear down the screwdrive hole in your camera's mount after sufficiently many tries. The mount is very sturdy but not designed to deal with pins like that one on your lens.
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

why did you take the lens off? put it back on and take some pictures!!
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, please post additional information about the lens specifically the markings printed around the outer rim of the front element? Your lens may already be in the lens database.

This should point you in the right direction Understanding Camera Lenses
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I found the Ricoh pin removal guidelines on this site. If not not I can find them again and post them here. All you need is some quite time and a small Phillips screwdriver.
02-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
put it back on and take some pictures!!
But not before having addressed the pin issue!
Don't challenge your luck.