Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon to Pentax/Mount Adapter

Ok, so here is the breakdown, my friend have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, he said he'll give it to me for really cheap if i wanted it...except he have the d300s and i have a k7...and I have been looking at that lens, as an upgrade option to my kit lens...so i would like to have it...

My questions are as follows,

1) Is there such adapter/converter that will allow me to use it?

2) If so, do I lose any of the functionality of the lens?/loss in IQ?

I did a brief search for one, not even sure what I was looking for, if this was covered elsewhere in the forum, please forgive me!

Thanks in advance!

02-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No such adapter exists
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
No such adapter exists
Are you sure?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37549-nikon-lens-pentax.html

Nikon Lens to Pentax Optical Adapter

MASSA Nikon AI Lens to Pentax PK Mount Adapter Ring for PK K20D K200D K-M - DinoDirect.com
02-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

ooops, I'm an idiot, I was thinking canon.

02-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm, I mean for 35 bucks, If that works...I can save a lot of money on the lens...
Has anyone had any experience with them?
haha...probably going to get booed off the forum.....doubt many ppl would want to use Nikon lenses on Pentax(well not even a Nikon, it's Tamron!)..especially here...maybe older glasses, but nothing like this...

I was just wondering if all the electronics are going to work, and if it will act like the Tamron 17-50 for Pentax...
02-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
well, I just checked the 3 links posted by kxBlaze..Thanks btw,
two of them seems like the same thing, except one is metal, the other plastic..
and according to the first link, it is indeed not possible...at least since 2009.....only manual operations will work...
I guess i'm probably better off buying the one new for Pentax mount...
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If it is really cheap and you are going to use the lense for mainly landscape and architecture - neither of which move around at particularly lightening speed - then MF isn't an issue at all and it may be worth the money. It's a cracking lense and you could always sell the lense on to a Nikon user and the adaptor on to a Pentax user, later if you decided you wanted to upgrade to the Pentax mount version you'd probably even make a bit in that scenario
02-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have happily adapted several manual-focus Nikon-mount lenses to stick onto my K20D. No shame there! I had one autofocus Nikon-mount zoom that I did NOT adapt because 1) fitting it would have required more skill than I have, 2) the surgery would have reduced its value significantly, and 3) I didn't really need it. I bought it for US$9 and sold it for US$84, so I'm quite happy.

AFAIK all the Nikon-to-Pentax adapters available have optical elements that increase the focal length and erode the image quality. They are essentially short teleconverters. Whatever was special about the lens, pretty much goes away. And autofocus doesn't work. IMHO your best bet is to gratefully accept the gift, then sell it, and buy a used Pentax version with the cash.

My general lens rule is: manual-focus primes (from any source), and autofocus zooms (with Pentax mounts). And: If it costs less than a sandwich or hamburger, buy it; if it costs more than a large pizza, think real hard about it. Those NI-to-PK adapters cost more than a large pizza. Feh. But I digress. For autofocus zooms, stick to those that were MADE for Pentax. Otherwise, they're usually more bother than they're worth.

02-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
haha, it's actually from a very good friend of mine, I would just let him sell the lens then..
If i do buy it off him,, it would be for use not resell.
I mean i wanted to replace my kit lens with that, not sure if i want to switch lens that often..haha..
Where are you abouts in shanghai? I'm going in the summer, hoping to take lots of pictures!
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicZh Quote
haha, it's actually from a very good friend of mine, I would just let him sell the lens then..
If i do buy it off him,, it would be for use not resell.
I mean i wanted to replace my kit lens with that, not sure if i want to switch lens that often..haha..
Where are you abouts in shanghai? I'm going in the summer, hoping to take lots of pictures!
I live out near Hong Qiao airport but my office is downtown. Shanghai is remarkably compact for a city of 23 million ! Great city but traffic is a bit#$.

PM me when you are on the way over.
02-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
haha...a large pizza here in Toronto is roughly 10-15 bucks...Other then lens caps, I'd be thinking pretty hard about everything that's going to go on my K7 (maybe I should anyways..). but thanks RioRico for the input, I think I'm going to let him sell the lens, I will purchase a pentax mount in the near future, and if anyone is selling a good copy of the 17-50, don't forget to let me know!
02-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I live out near Hong Qiao airport but my office is downtown. Shanghai is remarkably compact for a city of 23 million ! Great city but traffic is a bit#$.

PM me when you are on the way over.
Hey--did you ever eat any of that expensive Hairy Crab? Or do I have the wrong city?
10-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hey--did you ever eat any of that expensive Hairy Crab? Or do I have the wrong city?
Sorry I don't know how I missed this for 20 months !

Ira (if you are still around) - you have the right city (though they actually, well the genuine article anyways, come from a lake near Hangzhou) and yes, I've eaten hairy crabs, not that I really like crab