Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
I've read up on these lenses as I saw a good price for the 8-16mm. My only input is that, for landscape photography as you stated, I would highly value the tighter 24mm range AND the ability to use filters!

If you want to slightly deviate from your intended "for landscape" spec... then 8-16 is still in the game

BTW here's a very good roundup of some common UWA lenses.

02-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Though I do not have a UWA myself (but seriously considering it), I have looked at a lot of pics and, true to your input, the 12-x's have a lot of photos at 12, the 10-x's have a lot at 10, and, I assume that we'll see a lot of pictures from 8-16 at 8. I'm wondering to myself if there is a physical limit to how wide a lens can actually get and remain linear. Thanks. Glenn
Glenn, if you don't have it already, can I suggest adding this little utility to your s/w toolbox.
vAndel.nl - The Wega2 site
ExposurePlot (or Wega2 has it built-in), it might not cement any preconceptions, but it will enlighten of your own behaviour, trends and preferences. Helpful for guide or reassurance to target future buying too.

I particularly find it amusing how most zooms tend, in practice, to be just 2 focal lengths at most, joined into one lens. Still. that's what makes them value, and versatile. Almost all my lenses are zooms, and that always will be so. They (output quality) only get better and better over time.

Physical limit? Who knows, really. I harboured skeptical imaginations too, the usual on physics principles, yada yada... etc., until Sigma pulled that magic little rabbit out of their hat.

Probably the craziest thing of all turned out that the 8-16 is apparently such a very good lens, great IQ and min distortions for such a low mm tight package, in rectilinear too! Far from the oft claimed Sigma is so-so trash talk. (and apparently it really puts their more expensive 12-24 to shame on IQ, as well as outperforms the legendary 10-20 4.0-5.6 which is definitely no slouch for the money.)

.R. -- Real progress lies in the unexpected and its surprises.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-26-2011 at 03:01 PM.
02-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ultimately its a decision only you can make but I did make a similar decision between the Sigma 10-20 and Pentax 12-24...

I initially bought the Sigma but didn't like it @ 10mm, bit too much distorion for me which I wasn't able to correct, too soft in the corners too even stopped down - I wasn't a big fan of the colour rendition either.

Having now bought the Pentax I find it much more suits my own preferences - i find the range better as a lot of my shots are taken between 17-24mm but I now have the option of wider if needed - I tend to find UWA doesn't work quite so often as I originally thought it would but maybe that's just my personal taste.
Having recently travelled with the Pentax I found it great for cities, low distortion levels are ideal for architecture. I prefer the colour/contrast of the Pentax and definitely find it much sharper than the 10-20 - having now owned the 8-16mm though I can't comment on that.

I think the recommendation to consider what focal lengths you're likely to use is a very good one and then consider your other priorities in order of importance

Simon
02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cih Quote
What aleon has mentioned is significant in my opinion because I might be able to add the 12-35 if and when it comes and if I can afford it. The 12-24 would then be rendered useless. Do we have any idea when it is expected?
I would not depend upon anything unless its officially announced by Pentax. Forget speculation on what Pentax may or may not do. I was trying to decide on the DA 12-24 when Tokina announced their 11-16/f2.8. One would have thought (rather safely) that Pentax too would have access to the 11-16 but it has never appeared in the K mount. So, if its not here - don't worry about what may (never) happen.....

I went with the 12-24 and I like it very much. I tend to shoot it either at 12 or 24, and like the corner and edge definition - especially when I stitch. Stitching for me covers everything below 12 (however I also have the 10-17 which complements the 12-24 very well).

02-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
cih

Original Poster
Pictures

Took both the lenses for a spin today. Some pictures to show what the 8mm looks like. Have not really been able to really nail the perspective yet. But the pictures would show what the lens is capable of. The last 2 show the difference between 8mm on the Sigma and 12mm on the DA.

Hypocorism what you say about the 8-16 is quite true. I had tried the sigma 10-20 in the store and found it to be no match for the 8-16.

Piesforyoul, what you say about the tighter 24mm range is quite apt too. With the DA I find myself using it a lot at 12mm or 24mm. And when I use it at 24mm and later look at the pictures I sometimes wish I had used a longer focal length and not been lazy about changing the lenses. With Sigma I am playing a lot with the 8mm and not using the 16mm that much.
02-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #21
cih

Original Poster
I am getting the following error. Will try and upload the pics tomorrow.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

This error likely occurred due to a session timeout. Please log in again and refresh the previous page
02-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #22

i have the Sigma 8-16mm and although it's a huge, heavy bastard i love it. i use it almost exclusively at 8mm and f/8-11 for my outdoor shots (hiking/beach). i bought it to shoot WIDE and that's where the zoom stays. keep the 12-24 if those focal lengths are more usable for you. keep the 8-16 if you love the shots you get at 8 or 10mm (it's also no slouch at its longer focal lengths).
02-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by typical8o8 Quote
i have the Sigma 8-16mm and although it's a huge, heavy bastard i love it. i use it almost exclusively at 8mm and f/8-11 for my outdoor shots (hiking/beach). i bought it to shoot WIDE and that's where the zoom stays. keep the 12-24 if those focal lengths are more usable for you. keep the 8-16 if you love the shots you get at 8 or 10mm (it's also no slouch at its longer focal lengths).
Have you got a gallery somewhere of you hiking shots we could look at?

02-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #24
cih

Original Poster
All jpegs direct from camera. No processing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
cih

Original Poster
A couple of night shots
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #26
cih

Original Poster
Thanks guys for helping me decide. I am going to keep the Sigma 8-16. I am having too much fun with 8mm. And those extra 4mm do make a lot of difference. Since I am going to be shooting outdoor in daylight, the aperture issue is a non issue. I can also live without filters.

Can anyone see any issues with my copy of the lens from the pictures above? If it is decentered, sharpness issues, corner to corner, or anything else?

Thanks in advance
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
Have you got a gallery somewhere of you hiking shots we could look at?
not really but here's a few from my K200D

02-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cih Quote

Can anyone see any issues with my copy of the lens from the pictures above? If it is decentered, sharpness issues, corner to corner, or anything else?
The lens appears to be wonderful and the opportunity will always be there for you to learn how to better exploit its true calibre as time goes on.
I think [hope] you'll discover that UWAs are a true class of their own. Whatever you do, don't be misguided, they're NOT wide[r] classic landscape lenses -- they are full-on digital art creative tools that just beg the user to think beyond the circle and push envelopes.

I see a few concerning indications in those pics that you might have a dirty sensor in your camera. That's not uncommon with a new K-r, so don't be too alarmed. It just needs the usual proper tests and a thorough cleaning.

.R. -- ♫♪ Unashamedly addicted to the UWA drug. ♪♪ ♫

Dirty Sensor #1 - brand new Pentax K-r [@ f/40] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!