Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
i need help on the tech side of my camera

I really need to understand my camera better. if anyone who knows their camera very well can answer some of my questions i would be so happy!!

1- the green auto by the view finder, SEL, and the silver square with the dash in the middle. i think i understand auto self explanitory..
2-on the settings dial below it has the three squares first one green what do you use thoughs for and when?
3- AE-L is that a lock and what is that used for?

I find it hard sometimes to get a crystal clear image, i'm learning to master that, it's hard, i feel like i wont master it until i really know my camera inside out. right now i use two lenses pentax 50mm wide and promaster 70-300mm.. I understand the the better the lens the better the quality does anyone suggest a really great lens for this? I hope i get allot of different responses to help me out with this technical stuff, i think i have my style down i have a link in my profile to my facebook page you can take a look and let me know what you think, become a fan if you want.. i am taking a free online course that is helping but i really would love to here from other pentax users that really know there camera.. thanks

02-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Original Poster
also on my promaster it has what it looks like a tab to switch to macro, is that what it is? i tried to switch it over to macro but it wont move then i assumed that thats not what it is for? how do i use the macro? i have always wanted to try that..
02-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Im not sure what you are asking on the first two points but for the third one the ae-l button can be programmer to do whatever you choose but by default it is an auto exposure lock. Where the exposure is locked at so it doesn't change very handy when decomposing. For the pro master lens, is a re badged lens and the macro mode only works when abode the 200 mm focal length. It will not activate until then.
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. For starters, about controls: which camera are you using? They're pretty similar, but it'd help if you were more specific about your questions.

From the sound of it, about rectangles, you may mean the autofocus point selector. The green square means the camera's computer will choose a focus point, SEL means you can select the focus point with the 4-way keypad, and the other one means the AF will only use the center point.

As for your Promaster lens, (I'm going to go with Ep's notion you have to be above 200mm rather than lower: I thought I'd remembered the other way around,) that's just how the lens is designed, though.

And AE-L will just hold a meter reading (what the camera's automation chooses for exposure in any automated mode) while you *recompose.* Decomposing is to be avoided while doing photography. Many of us are lifelong photographers, but there's always the next incarnation, if that's not enough. Many Pentaxes will in fact last more than one lifetime, but remember you are mortal.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WIth all due respect, first try going to the camera manual. My K7 is very nicely done and easy to understand. For the controls, first go to the pictures in the front and look for one that has a pointer to that control. There should be a page number next to it. Voila!

There is so much in these cameras it really is easy to miss stuff. I just found my spot/center weight/full average meter mode switch the other day (under the mode setting knob). And I've had the camera for 7 months!

Ah, ground glass, range finder and micro prism, I do miss the days....
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Judging from the button layout you don't have a km/k2000 if you did you could use that "handy" help button to explain things. I know I disabled mine the 2nd day of using the camera so annoying it's now my raw button. But yeah best thing read the manual and if you want more help from the forum please let us know which camera you are using. Whether it be kx kr k2000 k200d k110d k100. K7 etc.... You get the point.
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She has the K10.

02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

On a K10D

Q1)
The green button 'resets the exposure' in M-mode; it's basically a quick way in M-mode to set values for aperture and shutter speed for correct exposure (see page 18 and 158 of the manual). After that, you can deviate from it using the front and rear dial.

Q1 and Q2)
SEL, auto and the silver square relate to autofocus (page 132 and following in the manual)
When set to auto, the camera will determine on which point it can get the best focus and focus on that. You can have a person standing in front of a wall, aim the center of the viewfinder at the person and the camera can decide to focus on the wall and not on the person. In my opinion, don't use it.
When the switch is set to sel, you can choose the point (using the fourway controller) that the camera will use for focusing.
When set to the third position, the camera will focus on something that you see in the center of the viewfinder.

Q3)
Simple example. Person in black clothes in front of white wall. Walk up to person, aim camera at person, let camera determine correct exposure, press AE-L, walk back, compose photo and take shot. This will make that the subject (the person in black) is correctly exposed. There are other ways to achieve the same; e.g. by using spot metering using the switch under the mode dial left of the view finder.

Welcome to the club; I have heard that the Magic Lantern guides explain the camera functionalities with a bit more detail. Somebody here might be able to confirm; if so, buy one.

PS
If you don't have a manual, you can download it from pentaximaging.com or pentax.co.jp
02-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
sorry, pentax k10d
02-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
thanks guys i will refer to the maual sometimes it's easier to understand better hereing from other pentax users.. Do you guys like the promaster lens?
02-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

'guys'? Maybe there are other 'girls' here.
02-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
have another question that is probably not in the manual. setting on SEL how do i choose a focal point when doing large groups? or what would be best setting to make sure everyone is clear, i have done two group shots. I always get asked to do weddings but i always refuse because im not experienced enough. i even been offered to have a plane ticket paid forto fly to there home state, i was flattered because they liked my photography that much but i told them if there willing to pay that kind of money there better off hiring a professional wedding photographer in there own state with lots of experience.. i just do family children, seniors
02-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #13

Original Poster
sorry, "guys and gals, i use "guys" in everything, bad habbit lol
02-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I seem to recall that the Promaster is a rebadge of the Sigma 70-300 which has a 2:1 macro mode meaning that you can focus as close as a bit over a yard and get an area about 2 inches wide to fill the frame. There is a trick to operating the switch which was being 200-300mm for the Sigma or so I would remember, I would also guess that twisting the zoom setting back and forth a bit could help while operating the macro switch.
02-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The promaster is a rebadged sigma. However, there are different versions of the sigma depending on which revision you have the quality varies. Also apparently from other forum members I learned that some sigma's only allow macro to work at 300mm. My version the APO one works from 200mm - 300mm. So your model may vary. Overall I have no major problems with the one I purchased. It is soft on the long end of things but still usable. However, you might consider going to 200mm and cropping instead of using the 300mm. There is noticeable drop after 200mm. As for the macro feature it does quite good at the 300mm end of things I found. Seems like they might have optimized it for that purpose if that is even possible. You maybe able to tell which version you have from the EXIF data. It might not say Promaster on it, never know.