Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

So my lens fell apart today (DA 40mm 2.8)

I was out shooting today and when I reached back to the office I heard a "donk" and half of my lens had hit the floor.

It had behaved a little weird during the day, not focusing correctly and getting stuck while trying to find focus. Ive taken good care of the lens as with all my equipment, however I use the camera and especially this lens alot.

It was purchased roughly a year and a half ago so I'm not sure if the warranty still is valid.

What can I do? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
02-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a bummer. You can get an estimate for repairs, but as your info indicates, the warranty has expired.
02-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would definitely contact a repair shop. Often repairs on lenses are cheaper than I expect them to be. If you were in the US, I'd say KEH would give you a free estimate and honest, quality work. There must be some similar place in Europe?
02-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Boy this got to stop. I would push for a free repair since lens seperation is not rare with some modern Pentax primes. It should NEVER happen.

02-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is actually the first one of Those I've seen this happen to (that doesn't mean very much). I've seen a few FA50s do this and at least one DA21 (here at PF).

I agree. Make them fix it.

02-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to see this.

What Pentax recommend in Sweden is: Kameraservice - PENTAX Nordic

But since it is no waranty you could send it anywere where they do Pentax service.
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
This is actually the first one of Those I've seen this happen to (that doesn't mean very much). I've seen a few FA50s do this and at least one DA21 (here at PF).
Happens to DA70 too. Boy if I have ever owned any of these lenses, first thing would be to reassemble everything so that it wouldn't separate on me. I would be very pixxed.

02-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolinjo Quote
I was out shooting today and when I reached back to the office I heard a "donk" and half of my lens had hit the floor.
Like man, that is like totally Limited. ZOMG!!!!!111111111111

I suggest you report it here: Drew Curtis' FARK.com

Then,
1. Buy baseball bat
2. Walk into local Pentax Service Centre with pieces of lens in one hand, bat in other
3. Request with soft spoken voice...

.R.
02-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Happens to DA70 too. Boy if I have ever owned any of these lenses, first thing would be to reassemble everything so that it wouldn't separate on me. I would be very pixxed.
Alan, do you know exactly what is going wrong with these lenses?
I presume that there is some screws that need to be threadlocked.
02-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Alan, do you know exactly what is going wrong with these lenses?
I presume that there is some screws that need to be threadlocked.
It could be the classic case of 3 tiny screws holding the focus ring and the lens group came loose due to poor threadlocking but I cannot tell by looking at the picture. Perhaps a memo should be put up warning all Pentax Limited users (except the FA31 which is different) that the lens should be put aside and sent to repair as soon as it shows sign of focusing difficulty or missing the infinity mark, whether it was AF or MF. A separation like this usually torn the contact brush, but hopefully the impact didn't cause misalignment.
02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

Warranty Period

We bought a K-7 in Denmark a while back and it came with a two year warranty - I think that's an EU law. Check your paperwork, you may have a two year warranty on the lens.
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It had behaved a little weird during the day, not focusing correctly and getting stuck while trying to find focus. Ive taken good care of the lens as with all my equipment, however I use the camera and especially this lens alot.

It was purchased roughly a year and a half ago so I'm not sure if the warranty still is valid.

Thanks!
not sure what the laws are in sweden..but in Aus we have a statutory warranty law, and it states that a Item should last its reasonable life span without indecent..regardless of the consumers warranty issued by the supplier of the goods.

we can apply to the small claims court to summons the supplier and have our case heard by a magistrate, no one is allowed legal representation and no costs can be awarded , if the supplier elects to have it heard before the magistrate..the magistrate will decide if the goods have failed before the expiration date.. or not....

but I doubt it would ever get there . as the supplier would know they don't have a chance in hell of winning..and settle before the case is heard...not to sure of the costs..but its under $100 au

If it were me..Id contact pentax first...if that doesn't work..if your able to..go with the above suggestion ..cause for a lens to fall into two bits is piss weak really..aint it ?
02-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

EU law is one year, but in the UK all Pentax gear comes with a two year guarantee. I imagine Sweden will be the same & itīs still covered. Check your receipt.
02-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #14

Whatever you buy in Europe has a LEGAL warranty that lasts 2 years. You should go to the store where you bought it and require a free repair <.<
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #15

Thanks!
Did you purchase the lens new, using a credit card? The card I use when buying most anything camera related will automatically extend the original warranty by one year. I understand that this is a pretty common benefit when using certain charge cards. I'd check the terms and conditions on your card and see if this is true for you. It's worth a shot, anyway. I don't know how card benefits differ between the US and Sweden.