Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #1

Holy Purple Fringing!

Hey guys, just picked up the K-5 and the 77mm limited, I was expecting magic...I have to say this is some SERIOUS fringing. What can be done about this?

Attached Images

02-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lsucadien Quote
Hey guys, just picked up the K-5 and the 77mm limited, I was expecting magic...I have to say this is some SERIOUS fringing. What can be done about this?
Dont shoot into the overcast/white sky with a dark foreground? Seriously, you couldn't have picked a harder situation for a lens
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've never noticed this with my other set ups, is this pretty common to most lenses?
02-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsucadien Quote
I've never noticed this with my other set ups, is this pretty common to most lenses?
with a shot like this? Yes

anyways, here's a 10 second edit (literally) I did in gimp:

Attached Images

02-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also you can check in the menus for lens compensation, you might be able to fix some of that using that. hmm Lateral Chromatic Aboration adjustment is in there, try using that and you might be able to rid yourself of the problem on camera. Otherwise there are plugins for Photoshop that will take care of it. I'm new to DSLR's and haven't had any shots with CA's in them yet... yet...
02-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Beautiful, thanks for the help guys. Oh and that shot was heavily cropped, it didn't look bad until I was checking focus for the bird aka 100%.
02-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PF is no stranger to even the FA limiteds. Hard to correct but better avoided in the first place.

02-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q from someone who seriously doesn't know the answer:

Are there lenses which handle this situation without creating purple fringe? Lenses that can take sharp focus super high contrast and do not fringe or display CA?

Inquiring minds want to know! :-)
02-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Q from someone who seriously doesn't know the answer:

Are there lenses which handle this situation without creating purple fringe? Lenses that can take sharp focus super high contrast and do not fringe or display CA?

Inquiring minds want to know! :-)
hmm, probably some apochromatic lens?
anyway, FA ltd`s really create more PF than, say DA ltd`s
02-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now now now... didn't you read the photozone test b4 buying? Afraid there is nothing can be done except to photograph things that are more interesting than tree branches which I have never mastered. Never had any luck with them.
02-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
hmm, probably some apochromatic lens?
anyway, FA ltd`s really create more PF than, say DA ltd`s
But a specific lens that could be named? Let's say you had to do a series of 200 photos of the Eiffel Tower structure (never the entire thing) and only sky for background? (I don't know, surely there must be some real world assignment for PF-inducing situations?) Or powerline attachment analysis?

Which Pentax-compatible lens would best serve the purpose?

Any ideas?
02-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you check photozone.de the lens tests there usualy have a scale of CA's that the lens presents in hard contrast shots. But that aside they also state (in the FA 77mm Ltd review) that purple fringing is a different issue. Hmmm maybe the CA adjustment won't help. :/
If you are looking for a lens that has bad CA's and LOCA's etc I'm sure you can find one in their reviews.
02-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
If you check photozone.de the lens tests there usualy have a scale of CA's that the lens presents in hard contrast shots. But that aside they also state (in the FA 77mm Ltd review) that purple fringing is a different issue. Hmmm maybe the CA adjustment won't help. :/
If you are looking for a lens that has bad CA's and LOCA's etc I'm sure you can find one in their reviews.
Actually, in my original question, I was looking for a lens that could be used specifically in such situations which would minimize or not create PF at all...

But, I'm open to education here: I always thought that PF and CA were different things. Are they not?

Also, I was hoping for someone with personal experience from using a lens in real-world conditions, rather than lab tests which are nice and objective, I agree, but often don't relate so well to overall image quality (again, I'm open to being educated on any point)...

Thanks!
02-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

From what I've seen most primes are better off than zooms, the new 55mm f1.4 shows good CA control wide open compared to others.
02-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote

Which Pentax-compatible lens would best serve the purpose?

Any ideas?
Voigtlander APO-lanthar lenses are among the best lenses for chromatic aberration correction, unfortunately no more in production
I`d say any of the DA ltd`s would serve you good, with some carefull PP, what I usually do is lower the saturation of purple/magenta colour when needed (and if possible)
also you shall prefer lenses with low level of CA
PF is kind of chromatic aberration that is visible under extreme conditions