Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which battery? (K-x)

I have been using some very cheap, very rubbish Superdrug batteries in my K-x, and somehow, i'm still surprised when they run out really quickly

what batteries are recommended for very long life?

02-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

I can vouch for Sanyo Eneloops: huge difference to the generic, much higher nominal capacity nimhs with the k-x Also, be sure use firmware 1.01 or later as it has a relevant fix.
02-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #3

Eneloops all the way!
02-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Eneloops are the best if you need to keep a charge on the batteries for more than a couple of weeks. If you recharge more often than that you can use something with a larger capacity. The number you need to look at is mAh (milliampere-hour). The higher the number the more charge the batteries hold. Standard Eneloops hold 2000 mAh. Some other brands run at 2500 mAh or higher.

The problem with nickel metal hydride batteries is that they self discharge in storage. Eneloops discharge much more slowly than most, which makes them good to keep in your camera, but over a short period they don't hold as big a charge. I keep a set in an old point and shoot. I also have a set of 2500mAh Sony batteries, which give me about 20% more life in a single shoot.

02-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I just wanted to share some information Pentax emailed me in regards to batteries. I wrote them about the battery issue with my K-x:

"Our Digital SLR’s require DC 6V battery. When the battery drops to DC5.1V, the battery low sign will show. When the battery drops down to DC4.6V, it will show empty.

The batteries most commonly produced by today’s battery manufacturer’s are as follows: The NiCad 1.3 volts, and the Ni-MH from 1.25 volts to 1.2 volts Please check what the voltage is on your batteries.

The camera requires 6 volts (4X regular AA 1.5V) to power it. If 4X Ni-MH rechargeable batteries are used, it will have only 4.8 volts (4X 1.2V). Although the voltage will increase after the Ni-MH is fully charged, in most cases, it will not exceed 1.4V. A fully charged NI-MH battery will show “battery low” after a short period of use. How short a period of time depends on which brand of battery."
02-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Eneloops BUT make sure you get a good charger. I used the Sanyo supplied charger for a while and was amazed to find out how much of a difference a good charger makes. With the Sanyo charger I was getting about 250-300 shots per charge, with an after-market individual cell charger I am now getting about 400 shots per charge.
02-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

+1 on a per-cell charger

03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #8

Looking for long-lasting rechargeable batteries for K-x. Currently using Pearstone @ 2600mAh. Hold full charge for about 5 min. Frustrating.

Looking at Delkin 2900mAh w/charger. Anyone know if these are good for use w/K-x?

Love my Pentax, just found this forum ... love it!!
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

What do you consider a good charger?
What rating on the Eneloops would you recommend?
Thanks.
03-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine have "typ. 2000 mAh min. 1500 mAh" on them. I have one of these for a charger and have been happy with it; the most important thing is that it charges the cells on a individual basis (it has other nice features as well )
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desubu Quote
What do you consider a good charger?
This is probably one of the best ones out there...IMO
La Crosse BC-900 Advanced Battery Charger
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #12

battery

Hi. the eneloop is very good like varta2. (300 pics) íbut the tradiconal battery (energizer) longer works. (400pics)
03-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/92821-battery-k-x-other-cameras-take-aas.html
03-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desubu Quote
Looking at Delkin 2900mAh w/charger. Anyone know if these are good for use w/K-x?
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy Eneloops, in fact the higher the mAh the worse the performance in the K-x, strange but true.
03-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-X will get rather a large number of shots from good quality NiMH like Eneloop. I wouldn't chase mAHs in this case but focus on highest quality battery and good battery care, e.g., don't run the battery down completely (or close to it) and use a software-controlled charger. They sense battery conditions and apply the optimum charging current for the correct time.

In chasing battery Nirvana, a per-battery tester/charger is an absolute requirement because:

* It can charge each battery in the manner that particular battery needs.
* It can "recondition" batteries with a series of charging-discharging cycles. Some claim that NiMH does not absolutely need this and that claim is true. But the battery will benefit from it. My LaCrosse will repeat carefully-controlled discharge/recharge cycles until the battery doesn't seem to be getting any better. That's a very good thing.
* You can immediately see how the individual batteries are doing, even using the charger as a quick voltage tester for other types of batteries. I was ready to throw out a set of old AA cells until I checked and found that only one battery of the four was bad.

Good luck and remember, lithium AA have a number of drawbacks but they're invaluable when you absolutely need 1200+ shots without access to a working charger and cannot or will not carry around multiple sets of NiMH. I would not travel without one set.