Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the setup below when the rocket blower fails to remove the dust. The small tube just need very careful handling. You can even use it conjunction with the blower. Keep the end of the tube just outside the lens mount while you blow the dust, and it sucks the dust out of the camera

03-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
Hopefully yours will be good! Can't hurt to test thoroughly tho first. I was pretty surprised too given the rep these have.

Thanks

Steve
The rocketblower was fine, and has removed most of the dust. Think you got very unlucky there Steve!

There are a few small spots remaining though. :-( I am going to try a wet clean next, and if that doesn't work, I will panic.
03-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I use the setup below when the rocket blower fails to remove the dust. The small tube just need very careful handling. You can even use it conjunction with the blower. Keep the end of the tube just outside the lens mount while you blow the dust, and it sucks the dust out of the camera
Like a lot!
12-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #19
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just registered here, mainly because I read this and other threads about rocket blowers and sensor dust. I have been using rocket blowers for a long time with my astronomy equipment, and some weeks ago I got my first DSLR, a Pentax K-r, and already after a few days I for some reason had dust on my sensor (showed up as a dark banana on my photos!).

I first tried to use the built in dust remove function in the K-r, repeatedly but without succes, so finally I took off the lens and set the K-r in sensor cleaning mode and used my blower. The dust vanished from my sensor, into the viewfinder.... I didn't bother with it, but finally some days later I had dust on the sensor again, and I did the same procedure ending up with the blower again, and I got the sensor clean, but yeat again more dust in the viewfinder!!!

I dont know if this is about poor construction of the chamber in the Pentax camera houses or what it is, but for me this ended with 55 eur for a full cleaning of the camera house, sensor and viewfinder, only some weeks after I got the camera (brand new!).

However, I strongly advise great care when using the rocket blower, and to always first try running the dust removal program repeatedly, and for me I think I've learned a lesson to be really cautious when switching the lens to minimize the risk of getting dust into the camera chamber.

Just my 2 cents!

Great forum, I've spent hours and hours as guest user before, and kind of knew it was just a matter of time before I created an account and joined you all!

Cheers!
JFN

Last edited by JFN; 01-27-2012 at 04:16 AM.
12-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
I first tried to use the built in dust remove function in the K-r, repeatedly but without succes, so finally I took off the lens and set the K-r in sensor cleaning mode and used my blower. The dust vanished from my sensor, into the viewfinder.... I didn't bother with it, but finally some days later I had dust on the sensor again, and I did the same procedure ending up with the blower again, and I got the sensor clean, but yeat again more dust in the viewfinder!!! I dont know if this is about poor construction of the chamber in the Pentax camera houses or what it is, but for me this ended with 55 eur for a full cleaning of the camera house, sensor and viewfinder, only some weeks after I got the camera (brand new!).

I wouldn't blame the construction of the mirror box in pentax DSLR cameras for the problem you are experiencing. Pentax has used that design for decades without problem and other manufacturers aren't much different in their design. The technique you are using for dust removal is ill suited to an enclosed chamber like a camera mirror box, all a rocket blower will do is move the dust around to another place - it will not physically remove it. This is why I use the Arctic butterfly - because of the electrostatic properties of the brush bristles dust is attracted to the bristles and gets lifted off the sensor surface and can be disposed of. Sometimes I have to clean the focusing screen but I only have to do that after a few years or so because I keep my cameras as dust free as I can.

I have never had to hand in a camera to be cleaned by someone else, even for wet cleaning as I can do that myself.
12-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
JFN
Veteran Member

At a quick look the Arctic Butterfly looks indeed like a much better solution, I'll definitely look into this!

Last edited by JFN; 01-27-2012 at 04:17 AM.
12-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Arctic butterfly is expensive but I have yet to fine a more effective solution to sensor cleaning, also Visible dust produce a brush specifically designed to clean APS-C camera sensors that is worth looking into.

12-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
JFN
Veteran Member

If it works as good as it seems it's not expensive, maybe pricey, but compared to costs for lenses etc. it's really not a big deal.

Last edited by JFN; 01-27-2012 at 04:17 AM.
12-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

exactly, I have had my Arctic butterfly for several years and I own several DSLR cameras for different makers and I use the Arctic butterfly to remove spots of dust out in the field on all my cameras.