Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this dust on the sensor? How do I remove?

These are two shots with two different lenses. I take it this must be a sensor issue. I have tried the dust removal on my K10D, no joy. Also blown and brushed the sensor with a bulb... Now what? I have also noticed that the marks seem more in focus on some pictures than others - particularly wide-angle shots.

BTW, photos are for demo purposes only, no artistic merit intended!

02-27-2011, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it is clearly dust
Try a rocket blower before anything else.

Follow this link: Giottos Rocket Air Blower Review

They are not expensive and very effective against the type of dust (large particles) you have suffering from.
Read the camera manual how to lock up the mirror and open the shutter.
Keep the camera with its opening down (let gravity drop the removed dust out) and apply the blower.
Make sure not to touch the sensor with the blowers nozzle.

If you cannot remove this with a blower (what I doubt), you can either have it cleaned at your local camera shop or buy one of the many sensor swipe solutions.
Depending upon where you live, prices may differ. For instance my local camera shop does a cleaning job for less money than a good wet swipe set.

The K10D is a lot more sensitive to collecting dust than the models introduced after the K20D.
For what it is worth (it help somewhat), do you have the auto sensor cleaning done when the camera gets turned on?
If not, you should. See the camera's manual.

Good luck, Bert
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like dust or a stray strand for sure. Berty gave great advice above. Follow that link and it's a suggestions and I bet it is an easy fix.

Nice photos by the way, gives me a mild winter afternoon at beach kind of feel.

Jason
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The K10D is a lot more sensitive to collecting dust than the models introduced after the K20D.
For what it is worth (it help somewhat), do you have the auto sensor cleaning done when the camera gets turned on?
If not, you should. See the camera's manual.
Thanks for the advice, I will do so. I will get a proper rocket blower too...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Nice photos by the way, gives me a mild winter afternoon at beach kind of feel.

Jason

Heheh... That's cos it was a mild afternoon at the beach today! Thanks for the feedback and advice...

02-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

03-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
@jeztastic:

It may be more than just dust. So I'd recommend you take your camera to a service shop. That's what I did with mine, after showing some pictures here in the Forum and concluding about the spots being dust particles.

At the service shop they couldn't clean it, checked with Pentax and... I am to get a replacement body within 3 weeks. Their conclusion was that my K5 suffers from the infamous "stained sensor" syndrome.

Just in case.
03-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

He havre a K10 not a k-5

03-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That definitely looks like a dust. I had one of those with my brand new K-x. It wouldn't go with the sensor shake option in the menu. My K-x has a dust alert function that displays the exact location of the dust on the sensor, I'm not sure if your camera has the same.

So this is what I did -
  1. Go to Dust Alert function in the menu and shoot an image of a uniform plain white surface. It showed me one dust particle.
  2. Then I removed the lens with camera facing down.
  3. Go to Sensor Clean function in the menu, which flicks the mirror up and opens the shutter so that you see the sensor (make sure the batteries are fully charged otherwise this won't work).
  4. Using the rocket blower puff 2-3 times to the area where dust was showing up on the sensor (camera still facing down).
  5. Switch off the camera to close the shutter and get the mirror back in position.
  6. Check again with dust alert function and voila, it is clean.
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
He havre a K10 not a k-5
Right. My mistake.
03-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, some useful tips there.
03-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I have a K10D as well. Even though I can only see one of your photos now, I see what looks like sensor dust in it. This happens to me as well. Try 39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 to clean your sensor. I bought a very similar product (possibly the exact same thing) made by Dot Line a while back when the Pentax version wasn't available. All you do is dab dab dab etc until you've cleaned the entire sensor. It works for me. (in fact I need to do it now again)
Regards,
Brian T
PS read and follow the instructions. It is a bit more than I stated, but not really.
03-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #12

Just be careful with the rocket blower...

I have a genuine one... that very happily blows talc all over everything it blows over. This doesnt do the sensor much good

the talc is a release agent for the rubber... i have even washed mine out twice with distilled water... i have now given up with it.. and have purchased another brand one. Maybe i was unlucky... but that kind of luck has cost me a very dirty focus screen and sensor! I have just wet cleaned it now so am back to a pristine sensor.

Steve
03-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally use the Arctic butterfly from visible dust, it is simple quick and extremely effective. I do not use blowers because they can all too often spread dust around from elsewhere within your camera's mirror box. The Arctic butterfly isn't cheap but it is well designed, easy to use and it is very useful for cleaning even out in the field.
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
Just be careful with the rocket blower...

I have a genuine one... that very happily blows talc all over everything it blows over. This doesnt do the sensor much good

the talc is a release agent for the rubber... i have even washed mine out twice with distilled water... i have now given up with it.. and have purchased another brand one. Maybe i was unlucky... but that kind of luck has cost me a very dirty focus screen and sensor! I have just wet cleaned it now so am back to a pristine sensor.

Steve
Bloody hell... I just dropped a tenner on one. I'll test it out carefully on a mirror or something first, thanks for the warning.
03-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Bloody hell... I just dropped a tenner on one. I'll test it out carefully on a mirror or something first, thanks for the warning.
Hopefully yours will be good! Can't hurt to test thoroughly tho first. I was pretty surprised too given the rep these have.

Thanks

Steve