Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pop up flash to manual with newest lenses

I would like to use one of my newer lenses instead of my older pre-ttl lenses, is there a way to fire the popup in manual (override the pttl preflash) I tried manual exposure and manual focus and the pre flash still fires, tricking my other optical slaves

thanks

randy

02-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nope, no way to go to manual. Your best bet is to get some radio triggers. Then you don't have to rely on optical triggering at all. Once you try some radio triggers, you will never go back. Check out the cheap Cactus v5 set at gadgetinfinity.com
02-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

Hi Randy,
Not quit sure what camera you have but if you look in the Fn flash menu you should be able to change the pop up flash to the flash on position (single lightning bolt icon) and take the camera from the fully auto mode (P,Sv,Tv,Av) it will only fire when you tell it to.
Not sure it actually makes any difference what lens you use, as long as it is not too wide to be covered by the flash.
I do think at the end of the day using a sync lead may a be more efficient way of firing a flash off camera.
02-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Sunpak Digital Camera Flash Adapter (optical slave) can be set up to ignore the pre-flash strobe.

But I'd rather go the RF remote flash trigger way.

02-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I would like to use one of my newer lenses instead of my older pre-ttl lenses, is there a way to fire the popup in manual (override the pttl preflash) I tried manual exposure and manual focus and the pre flash still fires, tricking my other optical slaves.
If your lenses have aperture rings, you can move the ring off A and the preflash is disabled. You'll have to use M mode and the lens will work like any non-A lens. I am not sure you have any control over the flash power either - I think it's just full power. With no aperture ring, you're stuck.