Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K7-Can you Bracket different Apetures?

Please move this if it doesn't fit in this beginner section.

I have a K7, is there a way to bracket apetures?

For example 3 shots of F.2.8/3.2/4 as you would if you bracketed exposure.

Reason is often I don't have the time to take three separate shot comparisons to judge which one is best.

Thanks in advance

02-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, you can unfortunately not bracket aperture if you want the same exposure on all bracketed photos. I have often missed that feature when doing macro work. It would be nice to be able to vary the depth of field with one press of the shutter.
03-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, there is a way to bracket with different apertures.
You just have to mount the K-7 on a tripod and do it one by one.
OP didn't say that it had to be one press of the shutter for all three to be taken automatically in succession..
It would still be fast though, since it would just be a flick of the "wheel" and the pressing of the shutter button.
03-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Yes, there is a way to bracket with different apertures.
You just have to mount the K-7 on a tripod and do it one by one.
OP didn't say that it had to be one press of the shutter for all three to be taken automatically in succession..
It would still be fast though, since it would just be a flick of the "wheel" and the pressing of the shutter button.
It doesn't quite work that well, at least on my K-7. I have aperture on the rear wheel. So I take a photo and hit the wheel. If the preview shows up, the rear wheel zooms the preview instead. I can beat the preview sometimes. Workarounds might be using the front wheel or disabling preview or preview zoom.

I think this worked better on the DS but its batteries are dead so I can't check.

03-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not automatic bracketing per say, but at least on the K10D you could shoot in manual and use the exposure lock while adjusting the shutter speed. You'd get different apertures at the same exposure. I think this function carried over to the K-7.
03-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It doesn't quite work that well, at least on my K-7. I have aperture on the rear wheel. So I take a photo and hit the wheel. If the preview shows up, the rear wheel zooms the preview instead. I can beat the preview sometimes. Workarounds might be using the front wheel or disabling preview or preview zoom.

I think this worked better on the DS but its batteries are dead so I can't check.
I always disable "preview" since it slows down the "fps" too.
03-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tybeck - I may give that a go, sounds like what I'm after!
03-12-2011, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

With the K5, if you set to bracket, and use Tv, it will bracket the aperture if there is enough room in the range. If I remember correctly, it worked the same way on the K7. I would have to pull my K7 files off of the backup to prove it but perhaps someone can give it a shot(s). (turn auto ISO off).

03-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
With the K5, if you set to bracket, and use Tv, it will bracket the aperture if there is enough room in the range. If I remember correctly, it worked the same way on the K7. I would have to pull my K7 files off of the backup to prove it but perhaps someone can give it a shot(s). (turn auto ISO off).

That works, just as you describe! I suspected there might be a way but could not fumble my way there.
03-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ooooo, sounds like the biz, if so thats bloody handy!
03-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This may be a dum question but what do I bracket for? (As per Extended Bracketing Menu)