Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marks on my pictures

Just returned from holiday and was devastated to find I had marks on all my pictures especially evident when viewing shots with lots of sky in them.
The first mark was a small smudge and the second a larger crescent shaped moon type mark which was almost impossible to edit out of the photos.
I have checked both lenses on my kx and found no marks evident but it does look to me as though there is some sort of mark on the mirror...dont ask me how this could have happened.However Ive read somewhere that marks on the mirror wouldnt duplicate themselves onto actual photos.so Im confused as to what could be causing the marks
Anyone have any ideas?

03-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dust on the sensor. A Rocket blower would likely solve the problem
03-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Alphonso and welcome to the forum.
This is one of the most well documented issues with digital photography.
Depending on the camera you have, dust can be easily removed (with a rocket blower) or it can be very stubborn (especially on the entry-level model cameras that don't have the more superior dust removal characteristics of the flagship model cameras).
03-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks a lot.Ill get on the case.
I did use the onboard dust removal facility but it obviously didnt work

03-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alphonso49uk Quote
Thanks a lot.Ill get on the case.
I did use the onboard dust removal facility but it obviously didnt work
Sometimes dust will stick beyond what the dust removal can remove. It's an unfortunate fact of life.
I have much less problems with dust with the removal system set to run on start up, but less problem is not the same as no problem.
03-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I still think this should be a sticky in the beginner or troubleshooting forum..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

03-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Glad I did a search first

QuoteOriginally posted by alphonso49uk Quote
Just returned from holiday and was devastated to find I had marks on all my pictures especially evident when viewing shots with lots of sky in them.
The first mark was a small smudge and the second a larger crescent shaped moon type mark which was almost impossible to edit out of the photos.
I have checked both lenses on my kx and found no marks evident but it does look to me as though there is some sort of mark on the mirror...dont ask me how this could have happened.However Ive read somewhere that marks on the mirror wouldnt duplicate themselves onto actual photos.so Im confused as to what could be causing the marks
Anyone have any ideas?
I have noticed the same crescent moon shaped smudge on my photos in a blue sky. Going to attempt to use the rocket blower and if I comes to it may end up (when I have the monies) go have the camera cleaned. Attached is a photo that shows the smudged area to the right above the moon.

Attached Images