Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Failure to Fire

Hi guys,
I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to shooting with a DSLR, (I have the K-7) but i keep finding myself having my camera pick and choose when it wants to shoot.

Ie I press the shutter release..... Nothing. I have tried switching between different modes to stop this but nothing seems to fix the problems.
It tends to do this when i shoot in low light.
My feeling was it might have had some limiter that would stop it shooting if there wasnt enough light but i couldnt find anything in the manual about it!

I know its gonna be some silly little check box somewhere :/

Thanks to who ever can enlighten me

Cheers,
Scott

03-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Hi guys,
I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to shooting with a DSLR, (I have the K-7) but i keep finding myself having my camera pick and choose when it wants to shoot.

Ie I press the shutter release..... Nothing. I have tried switching between different modes to stop this but nothing seems to fix the problems.
My feeling was it might have had some limiter that would stop it shooting if there wasnt enough light but i couldnt find anything in the manual about it!

I know its gonna be some silly little check box somewhere :/

Thanks to who ever can enlighten me

Cheers,
Scott
If the camera doesn't achieve focus lock it won't fire. If the green hexagon doesn't appear on the info line in the viewfinder, the camera isn't focused. If you put the camera in MF mode it will fire when there is no focus lock.
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm I will have to check that.
I am too used to the old Point and shoot camera taking a photo when ever I wanted it to.

I knew it would be something stupid!

Cheers
03-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In AF-S mode, the camera needs focus confirmation to trip the shutter, in AF-C it does not.

Also, you can enable the requirement for focus confirmation in manual mode by selecting the menu item catch - in - focus, where the camera will then need focus confirmation to fire (menu item 35 on the K7)

03-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip Lowell.

I must read the manual and not absorb anything! I have read the thing cover to cover twice. and didn't pick up on this either.
Cheers
03-07-2011, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Ie I press the shutter release..... Nothing.

Hi Scott,

The problem is likely to be the auto focus that is not able to catch focus as the others explained.

The main symptom to look for is called "focus hunting", the lens is constantly moving back and forward trying to find a focus lock.
Does that happen when you experience this problem?

The AF mechanism requires a contrast change at the focus point in use, this means that the camera cannot lock focus when there is no contrast. Not even when the light is great.
For instance, if you'd try to make a photo of a white wall, Auto Focus will fail.
Also, in low light, it is much harder for the AF mechnism to find contrast, there is simply less light to work with.

Your K-7 is equiped with an AF assist light. A sort of green light that should be turned on by the camera in very low light.
Can you see that happen? If not, it might be turned of in the menu.
Turn it on, it does help a lot in low light situations.

Success, Bert
03-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to add one point here, and at the time I thought it was wrong, ad still do...

On my PZ-1 there was an option to allow over-riding the AF interlock.

Although this is the case between AF-C and AF-S I still believe you should be able to set the camera to fire when you pussh the button regardless of focus mode.

03-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just to add one point here, and at the time I thought it was wrong, ad still do...

On my PZ-1 there was an option to allow over-riding the AF interlock.

Although this is the case between AF-C and AF-S I still believe you should be able to set the camera to fire when you pussh the button regardless of focus mode.
Not on the K7.

03-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeff

No not the K7 no override function. seems to have disappeared between *istD and K10D at least in my bodies
03-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Jeff

No not the K7 no override function. seems to have disappeared between *istD and K10D at least in my bodies
I didn't think the K10 had it either. The K5 does (and maybe the Kr?) and to Me, it's a new feature. It isn't one I Use but it's nice to know I have it. AF-C on the K5 can also be set to fire only if in focus. Haven't really tried that one out yet though. (that is of course assuming we're talking about the same thing).

03-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

Though the problem is not "solved" I have decided that i will just shoot manual focus In low light. That way it takes this worry out of the equation, so I don't look stupid again
"err hold on to that pose for a minute guys. I don't know how to use my camera!"

Cheers