Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Can You Select MANUAL Focus Point on Kx?

Hi,
I almost always use manual focus, but I like having the focus indicator light/beep also. My question is - does changing the autofocus point from Spot to Select, or Autofocus 5 or Autofocus 11 change the area used to determine in/out of focus for the indicator? Or, does it only determine the area used for autofocus? Thanks.

03-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The autofocus points are used in MF mode but only by DA, DA L, D FA, FA J, FA or F lenses. Non-AF lenses default to center spot.
03-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The autofocus points are used in MF mode but only by DA, DA L, D FA, FA J, FA or F lenses. Non-AF lenses default to center spot.
Yeah it's quite sad, I don't see why this needs to be the case.

I use mostly KA mount lenses, so if I need focus confirmation I have to focus in the center and recompose, but with shallow DOF the distance to the object changes enough with recomposure that exact focus is lost. I've circumvented the problem a bit by getting a Ec-A focusing screen that uses ground glass so it's easier to focus with my eye. I'd recommend either getting good determining focus without the confirmation light, or using live view for precise focus (not always practical).