Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Can't transfer images with cable anymore

I have transferred images dozens of times from my KD100 to a computer. Recently when I connected the cable I got an unhelpful error message. Tried a second cable with the same results. Tried all the usb ports with the same result. Popped the memory card out and transferred with a card reader no problem. Last time I tried to transfer with the cable the computer immediately crashed.

Have I somehow screwed up the electrical connections on the camera transfer connection? Is this something that happens? I can transfer with a card reader but using the cable was convenient.

Sorry if everyone knows the answer, I looked around and didn't see it. Did I mention that I am new?

03-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know the answer but the exact error message that you get is important. And if that was an error message on the computer or on the camera.

Please let us know
03-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob_the_newbie Quote
I have transferred images dozens of times from my KD100 to a computer. Recently when I connected the cable I got an unhelpful error message. Tried a second cable with the same results. Tried all the usb ports with the same result. Popped the memory card out and transferred with a card reader no problem. Last time I tried to transfer with the cable the computer immediately crashed.

Have I somehow screwed up the electrical connections on the camera transfer connection? Is this something that happens? I can transfer with a card reader but using the cable was convenient.

Sorry if everyone knows the answer, I looked around and didn't see it. Did I mention that I am new?
I have never used the cable to transfer images to the computer; always pop the card out and insert into the computer's SD card reader. It could be the electronics of the usb port on the camera itself that is defective.
03-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have never used the cable to transfer images to the computer; always pop the card out and insert into the computer's SD card reader. It could be the electronics of the usb port on the camera itself that is defective.
I'm with Aleon on this one. I haven't used USB cables for years now. I personally find it much easier to use a card reader instead of the cable. If you keep having problems with the cable/connection I would suggest abandoning that and get used to using a card reader.

03-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is one big reason why I avoid cameras using CF cards... the pins are easily bent if you do that too often - SD cards become the default standard and it is more durable and designed for heavy usage like that.
03-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read someone's blog a few years ago who had the same problem. He took apart his camera and resoldered the connector back on. He had a few complaints about the original construction.

Even though I have successfully taken apart a camera, replaced the shutter and had it work, I would embrace the card reader.
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I transfer photos the same way you do for the same reason. My K-x shows up as a removable drive in “My Computer”. Canon cameras actually show up with the brand and model.

What operating system do you have?

If you are using Windows XP, you can try and see if your PC even recognizes your camera.

Right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management

The window on the right should display the number of disks on you PC including removable drives. (Disk 0, Disk 1,…..) If I’m not mistaken, your K100 should show up as “Removable”. If it doesn’t show up at all then there’s the possibility the USB port on your K100 has gone bad.

However, if you do see a drive and shows “Healthy” but without a letter designation then your PC is somehow incorrectly mapping the removable drive (K100).

You can try and change the drive designation by right clicking on it and selecting “Change Drive Letters and Path….” Then select “Change”.

Hope this helps, good luck!

03-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've read that all Pentax dlsrs (and probably other brands, as well) have the USB connector on the main circuit board positioned so that it is just behind the opening in the outer case. The only thing that supports the connector is the solder joints that make the electrical connection.

There is no physical strain relief. Any lateral force on the USB cable, while connected to the camera, must be absorbed but those light-duty solder connections. Consequently, there is a tendency for the solder (or the copper circuit trace on the board) to fail, allowing the connector to come loose.

As someone else mentioned, you can probably open the camera up and, if you're good and have a very fine-tipped soldering iron, fix it yourself.

Personally, I have only used the USB cable on my K10D once or twice, when I first got the camera. Now, I use only the card reader on my PC. It's faster, doesn't put any strain on the camera's USB connector, and doesnt use any battery power.
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There was also recently an update to at least to Windows XP which prevents auto-run commands from running off of other drives than the CD Rom or hard drive: probably to overcome a security threat.

It's possibly your cord and camera are still fine, but that that update means it doesn't do the usual thing. If you go to 'my computer' you may still find our camera is recognized as an external drive and be able to click on that and transfer files that way.

(But I second the suggestion of a card reader. Why put wear an tear on a camera when you can use a cheap item. )
03-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you have a second PC (home, school, work, friends) to try it on? That will help in the elimination process.

And do you have problems with other USB devices as well?
03-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice.

I can list at least a few other situations when you may have some error messages:

* the USB cable plug (camera side) is damaged;

* Windows does not recognise the camera because of windows memory error; in that case, the computer needs to be restarted first

* if the card is full; or

* if the card is damaged (but seems unlikely).

Hope that the comments may help...
03-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #12

I have a K100d and a K100d Super which I bought used and neither has ever been recognized by any of our family computers. I thought this was a feature to force me to use a card reader which is of course the best way to transfer.
While I was waiting for a reader I put the cards from the Pentaxes in my old Canon P&S and transferred the photos without problem.
03-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
Sorry to be slow. I plugged the cable and K100D into a Mac and got this error message.

because a usb device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your usb devices have been disabled

Last time I connected to a pc it crashed.

So I think the cables and card are fine.

I don't want to take the camera apart so I think I'll stick with the card reader. Thanks for the ideas.
03-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #14

Sorry to be slow. I plugged the cable and K100D into a Mac and got this error message.

because a usb device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your usb devices have been disabled

I don't want to take the camera apart so I think I'll stick with the card reader. Thanks for the ideas.
I wouldn't assume anything. The message you received could be caused by a cable short.

There are only 2 problems you can have since the card reads on a card reader and both computers experience problems and those are the interface (Cable) or the camera circuitry.

I'd suspect the cable since it's the weakest link.
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I agree with Geru2000, that it may very well be the cable. USB ports provide up to 1 amp of 5v dc power to the attached devices. A short in either the cable or the camera could easily cause the device to draw more than 1 amp. That message seems to be the software equivalent of blowing a fuse or tripping a circuit breaker.

Try connecting just the cable, without the camera attached. If it is a short in the cable, you should still get the message. If that happens, get a new cable.

OTOH, it is my opinion that using a card reader is preferable in almost every way. I really can't think of any way that the USB cable attachment beats a card reader, except in the case that your computer doesn't HAVE a card reader. In that case, get one. They're cheap. Just make sure that it supports SDHC cards. Some support only SD cards up to 2GB.

EDIT: I just thought of a reason: you can only do tethered shooting via the USB cable. That's sort of the definition of tethered shooting, now, isn't it?