Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I completely disagree about only being able to spot the difference at large print sizes or pixel peeping. Good lens produce pictures that are different (in a good way) even in very small sizes.
I do agree with this opinion!

There clearly is a notable difference both in handling and the resulting images.
So answering to the (slightly modified) thread question: Yes you will see a clear difference of the resulting images, at least in most situations.
But: What I wanted to say in my earlier post is just that the kit lens might not be able to fully compete with what you call a 'good lens', but it suffices for certain aims nevertheless.
There is a difference between the same image beeing shot with the kit lens and a very good prime, but don't image it to be a astronomical difference dividing mobil phone-like photos from super pro-like photos!

03-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Dave, so let's say I have to rely on my 18-55--and want to treat it as a prime:

What FL and aperture is going to give me the best IQ, forgetting about DOF issues? This is the only AF lens I own, and I recently had a not great experience trying to shoot a low light party with manual lenses, and focus was a disaster.

If I know the sweet spot for this lens, I'll leave it there next time...shoot like it's a prime...and adjust my manual flash to make it all work with the camera in M mode.
I think 24-33mm is best. I say 33mm because the maximum aperture is f4 for that range, but if you zoom to 35mm it goes up a bit. The center is going to be noticeably sharper than the corners, so boring compositions help when sharpness matters. I think f5.6 is a reasonable compromise. Going to f8 will help the lens but hurt the flash - no ambient, slow recycle, etc.

What my dad would do in your case is use a prime, set a distance on the DOF scale and get within that range to take the shot. I think I missed the voodoo ritual he performed beforehand so this magic does not work for me.

I base my conclusions on this test at 28mm: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/61891-28mm-len...-pentaxes.html and a couple of quick tests at 24 and 35mm.