Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

istDS, IR converstion.

Hi, everybody ("HELlo, Doctor Nick..")

So I recently purchased a used i*stDS for the specific purpose of converting to IR. Thanks to the tutorials, I was able to easily get to the [EDeleriously tired] IRcut filter, remove it, and replace it with glass.

The shutter works, and focus seems to be fine, (with the clear glass) and all pics so far have come out -ish.

In the process, something seems to have gone awry. There is NO connectivity with the lens, it seems... NO focus confirmation, NO aperture setting or information, NO AUTOFOCUS.

What now?

To answer some pending quesitons:

All program modes read "aperture priority" on the preview screen, except M and B. No aperture or aperture information in ANY mode. Aparrently taking pics WIDE open, with shutter adjustments only. Aside from that, everything else seems to work fine (everything is dead, but other than that...)

I did discharge the flash to my finger a couple times...

I cannot find any wires or connectors that are in any way damaged or that have come detached, in or out

the MF / AF switch engages the motor cam properly, and carries through to the focus rings on the lenses.

manual f ring registers nothing. Nothing in EXiF. See grab below.

THanks for the help.

Attached Images

Last edited by iandiam; 03-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought that an IR conversion replaced the standard filter with an IR filter, not clear glass. Won't all the light, visible and IR get to the sensor? I thought an IR conversion only allowed IR light to get to the sensor. What am I missing? Sorry, I don't have a clue about the lens problem.
03-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, you're right. It's actually a not-quite-full spectrum conversion; replace IRcut with clear glass (actually UV filter, but you get the idea.)
03-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn, well done for taking on that task.
Unfortunately you might have zapped something electronic, while handling them circuit boards
Hard to recover from that..

03-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #5

If the flash capacitors discharged while you were doing it there was probably some damage to other components you were touching.

Incidentally, I have a Samsung GX1S which is a rebadged *ist DS (as far as I know) and I'd be interested in following in your footsteps. Apart from the bits that went wrong I mean Do you have a link to the tutorials?
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iandiam Quote
Hi, everybody ("HELlo, Doctor Nick..")

So I recently purchased a used i*stDS for the specific purpose of converting to IR. Thanks to the tutorials, I was able to easily get to the [EDeleriously tired] IRcut filter, remove it, and replace it with glass.

The shutter works, and focus seems to be fine, (with the clear glass) and all pics so far have come out -ish.

In the process, something seems to have gone awry. There is NO connectivity with the lens, it seems... NO focus confirmation, NO aperture setting or information, NO AUTOFOCUS.

What now?

To answer some pending quesitons:

All program modes read "aperture priority" on the preview screen, except M and B. No aperture or aperture information in ANY mode. Aparrently taking pics WIDE open, with shutter adjustments only. Aside from that, everything else seems to work fine (everything is dead, but other than that...)

I did discharge the flash to my finger a couple times...

I cannot find any wires or connectors that are in any way damaged or that have come detached, in or out

the MF / AF switch engages the motor cam properly, and carries through to the focus rings on the lenses.

manual f ring registers nothing. Nothing in EXiF. See grab below.

THanks for the help.
This means that the camera body is no longer communicating with the lens. I'm not so sure how this can result from IR conversion... Make sure you have not damaged any PCBs, wires, or other electronic components.

--DragonLord