Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is my flash shot?

Decided to try playing with my AF540 on manual as I've been unsatisfied with its results recently. I had even more trouble and some odd behavior.

I turned the light off so it was quite dim, but I was inside with some small windows, so some light was coming in. Definitely not a lot, though. I randomly decided to shoot some chachkis on a shelf about four feet away.

I didn't take detailed notes for patterns, but often the flash didn't fire at all. I tried the flash on P-TTL, manual; tried the camera between green mode, aperture, and manual modes. Often, the flash didn't even fire. Every shot, though, was totally black. When I put the flash in manual, it would get stuck and nothing on the display would change. Even when I turned the flash off, the display on the LCD would remain.

Any ideas?

Thanks;
David

03-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first thing I would blame would be the batteries. Second would be that the flash may not be fully or properly seated on the shoe. Did you try Wireless by any chance?

More details would help. Perhaps a photo (even if black) with exif in tact. Lens used, Camera used, etc.

03-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thought is mounting problem as Jeff stated.
The 540 is particular about how it is seated on the hotshoe mount, so push the hotshoe in firmly and try again in P-TTL mode and see if it works. If you've had your hotshoe pin removed for the stuck pin problem this issue will be a recurring theme.

But the other bizarre behaviour of the flash mentioned in the latter part of your thread is hard to figure out. Check the batteries and their contacts. Then after all efforts have been exhausted, you may need to look at repair...
03-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, guys. Had an event tonight which was the catalyst for my experimentation. Resorted to the built-in flash.

While the batteries should have been fine, I did pop fresh ones in with no change. I've also noticed that the lever goes awfully far to the right when I try to seat the flash.

I don't have much hopes, but I'll post some shots (even black) along with better details tomorrow.

Thanks;
David