Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

K-100 Problem

Hi there, first time poster...

I have started having a problem with my K-100. When I am in auto mode, both the shutter speed and aperture values in both the viewfinder and on the LED display on top flash, the flash pops up and the flash symbol is shown in the viewfinder. Also, the camera will not autofocus and will not actually take a photo, even with the flash popped up. This occurs in lighting conditions where the flash would not be needed (i.e sunny daylight, outdoors).

When I am in other modes I don't always get the flashing shutter speed and aperture values, but the camera will still not auto focus and will not actually take a picture.

The last time I used it successfully was on a very cold day, where apart from the batteries running out quickly, the camera worked normally. The next time I went to use it (a couple of weeks later) I discovered this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

03-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flashing values suggest the camera does not know what kind of lens is mounted. Do you get a confirmation that you are in fact In AF? That is, the camera does Not show MF? You might try swabbing the contacts on the camera and lens with some 99% alcohol.

I don't know enough about how the K100d (?) operates to be a lot of help to you beyond that.

03-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Without knowing much details, it is difficult to guess what the problem is. JeffJS pointed out one aspect of it, which is the AF lens. If it is not mounted properly, the AF would not work and therefore, the camera can not lock in focus... therefore, you can not press the shutter release. Another potential problem could be the memory card, does it give any indication of error or could it be out of space on the memory card.
03-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I had already double checked that I was in AF, not MF. The switch is in the AF position and I only get 'MF' displayed in the viewfinder when I switch to MF and it disappears again when I switch to AF. I cleaned the contacts on the lens and camera body and it seems that the flashing shutter speed/ aperture issue has gone away but the camera still won't focus or take a picture. I checked the memory card and it is empty.

03-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Put the camera on Manual focus and see if you can take a picture. We would at least like to rule out the camera. What lens(es) are you using?

03-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
I tried in manual focus but no luck. I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens. I've also tried with my Tamron 70-300 but have the same results. I've noticed the macro symbol is showing in the viewfinder when I am in auto mode - I'm not sure if that is normal or not. All of the other mode symbols show normally in the viewfinder when their mode is selected. I've also noticed that the LCD monitor flashes a bright colour briefly whenever I change between the various modes on them mode dial.
03-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It sounds like a befuddled brain to me, brought on by that day in the cold. Mine gets like that in cold weather! It might be worth reloading the firmware. Download it from the Pentax website and follow the instructions to the letter. Like a computer, if you start with a fresh Operating System you give yourself a fighting chance and it might even fix the problem.
03-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks - I'll put on my brave pants and try that!