Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Newbie Needs some help

Hello, I'm new (as of yesterday) to the DSLR world. I bought a Pentax K-x because I have 3 additional lens that I had for my K1000 and they do not have the "A" on the aperture ring. I put my Osawa 85-300 macro on and after going through the setup of the Green button and the focal length i got it to work. However, the image, when compared to the one taken with the kit lens, has a yellowish tine to it. Can anyone tell me why?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard.

Your problem is most likely white balance. Just like you had to balance color temperature to your conditions with color film, so too do you have to for Digital. The Green button (For stop down metering) is only going to work in M mode and even then, you may want to make some adjustments. I'm assuming you've set the Use Aperture Ring to Permitted in your custom menu here since you were able to take a photo at all.

03-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The first one looks like it is seriously underexposed; at least one full stop, maybe two.

Since it was taken with a manual lens, the EXIF does not record the aperture. The shutter speed is shown as 1/125. The second one shows a shutter speed of 1/200 at f/11.

What was the aperture used on the first picture? The equivalent exposure to the second one would be about f/13. If the actual aperture used was smaller than that, then that might be your problem.
03-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The first one looks OVER exposed to me - the bright area by the small tree is burnt out, it has detail in the second one.

Also the first one has Manual white balance, the second Automatic, and that could be the cause of the strange colour.

03-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The first one looks like it is seriously underexposed; at least one full stop, maybe two.

Since it was taken with a manual lens, the EXIF does not record the aperture. The shutter speed is shown as 1/125. The second one shows a shutter speed of 1/200 at f/11.

What was the aperture used on the first picture? The equivalent exposure to the second one would be about f/13. If the actual aperture used was smaller than that, then that might be your problem.
Cats_five is right.

The picture is overexposed by far.
It looks like your aperture was not closed by the camera or yourself.
Since it is a manual lens, you should either close the aperture yourself or use a faster shutter speed to compensate.

Bert
03-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ALL:
Over Exposure was the issue. I adjusted the Shutter speed and got it close. Looks like this is going to take some practice. I relied on the light meter on the K1000 and then moved to point shoot. It will take some getting used to but I'll fun learning.

Thanks again for your help.
03-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is a lens with no A on the aperture ring, make sure the camera is in M mode. Otherwise the camera does not care where the aperture ring is set. If the lens does have an A setting, use that so the camera can control the aperture better.

The lens coatings can sometimes vary the colors a lot, especially older third-party lenses vs. a newer Pentax.
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the look of the first one, it looks kinda dated or like and old photo taken by an old camera.
Who knows, things like these you can often use for "period' looks.
Just have some people pose with old clothes and you have yourself a period photo.