Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax software necessary?

Hello everyone,
I've started reading that understand exposure book recommended by others here. I've been enjoying it very much. What I'm wondering is if its necessary to install the utility software that came with my k-x. I have a mac and have been using iphoto with my point and shoot camera.

03-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It you want to be able to play with raw files, then the Pentax software will allow you to do things that iphoto cant. For example, you'll be able to adjust your "Custom Image" settings directly from raw files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

iPhoto will open your raw files without a problem but as Adam said the Pentax software gives you more options to process your photo's. If you don't have a problem with spending some money there are fare better post production en photo cataloging programs around. As a Mac user Aperture seems a logical upgrade to iPhoto and it is a lot cheaper since it appeared in the App Store. I believe it is 80 dollar.
03-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The software is not necessary but does come with stuff that you could find handy. I recall reading that it allows you to develop raw files automatically to your settings for multiple files quite handy for batches. I know I have not installed it one and I have been shooting in raw+ no problem at all. I say install take a look if you don't like it uninstall. It's free stuff that might be helpful

03-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi there, besides Iphoto and the Pentax software there is lots of other software you can use.
One of them is the free Picasa from Google, not so many functions but very handy with all sorts of other extra's, like integration with webalbums of picasaweb, printing services and others.

Also, you'll find photoediting websites, even photoshop has a free online service.

- Bert
03-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clearlybored Quote
Hello everyone,
I've started reading that understand exposure book recommended by others here. I've been enjoying it very much. What I'm wondering is if its necessary to install the utility software that came with my k-x. I have a mac and have been using iphoto with my point and shoot camera.
Why would you not? It takes up relatively little space and has some decent features. You can always remove it. Although I'm a Mac person I don't use IPhoto anymore. Aperature is my main PP with PE for those times when nothing else will do.