Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Motivation

Here's a few that you might recognize. All handheld from Long Island City (Gantry State Park). If you look close, you'll see noise in the sky. These were taken with my DA*50-135 with the iso allowed to go up to 1250.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just got back from taking a couple quick shots. It was a lot more fun than I thought it would have been. Can you guys tell me what it was I did and how I should make it better?
Attached Images

03-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #18
Inactive Account

It looks to me like your lens probably had some moisture on it (understandable given the weather). In the first shot, the car's headlight is throwing off (or controlling) your exposure. The second shot is pretty good. I don't notice any bothersome noise. I think you did well as far as handholding is concerned.
Try it again tonight. Be mindful to try to avoid the headlights or any really strong light sources shining at you. Even though there is no "sun", use your lens hood to avoid the stray light sources coming from the sides. Make sure the front face of your lens (and both faces of any filter) are clean, dry and spot free. Based on what I've heard of the weather forecast, it should be a good night. Have fun learning and experimenting.
Brian T
03-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good lens, if you got that, btw, just as some said, will be tricker to operate for a newbie, cause of the manualness. Definitely looks like a wet lens there (Hoods help with that, though sometimes that can be fun. I think you have a couple of shots you can remember on there, at least. )

Now's no time to be too picky about noise, if you asked me. (Note: at least with Pentax, I think it's less objectionable in monochrome jpegs, and in general I admit to having never been big about grain back in the day, either. Your medium is your medium and your camera's sensor is part of that. You can learn to control it as you can, but it's nothing to miss your photos over unless you want to buy and learn a whole new kit.

Sometimes you've just gotta take the field with what you've got.

Cities can be brighter than you think, but don't be afraid to pump up the ISO if you want.

If you get your manual lens, I suggest a bit of bracketing. Vary your exposure with that convenient aperture ring and shoot a few frames here and there if you don't have time to fuss with your learning curve. Your focus point is where you'll want to be pretty on target there.

03-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be interesting to compare the shots with rain to shots without rain. Wet streets look more interesting.

When you put the M50/1.7 on the camera, the metering might quietly switch to center-weighted, if it used to be on matrix. With an A lens, you can have matrix metering, but not with an M lens. It will give you different results. This happens without notice, but it's important to remember.

In a scene like your second shot, center-weighted metering will not meter as strongly for the bright lights at the top of the frame. So the camera will suggest a brighter exposure than it would in matrix metering. Remember, neither one is correct, it's all up to you. If you want the graffiti to be more obvious, you want a brighter exposure. Bracketing as suggested above will give you several choices when you get back home.

There's also the various light colors in these shots. The camera might have a hard time with auto white balance, trying to choose which light should look whitest. No setting will make them all look the same. You can choose one of the presets to get a more consistent look from photo to photo.

Hoods are better than filters for lens protection. Flare is more obvious when you use filters at night.
03-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It would be interesting to compare the shots with rain to shots without rain. Wet streets look more interesting. <snip>
Hoods are better than filters for lens protection. Flare is more obvious when you use filters at night.
Agreed. Wet streets and surroundings do tend to have that "glistening" look that raises interest in night shots. Brightening up the exposures will also help raise interest because the minor details will be more easily discernable.
Hoods also help block the rain from getting to the lens as well as stray lights.
Flare from filters is a known fact. None (that I know of) have the quality coatings that meet the coatings on our Pentax lenses. However, quality filters rarely degrade an image very much (if they're kept clean and dry). I use nothing less than Hoya Pro 1 level (except for 1 big (77mm) polarizer strictly due to cost).
Brian T
03-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Calicojack... How did you upload the pictures so that I was able to see what your aperture was and the other camera info?
03-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clearlybored Quote
Hi Calicojack... How did you upload the pictures so that I was able to see what your aperture was and the other camera info?
I really didn't control it. I just attached images using the manage attachments button under additional options.

See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/136006-new-feature-...tachments.html