Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find that in the 16 bit raw files, I can do more in ACR to fill shadows and a bit more to recover near-blown highlights than in jpeg. The fill feature in ACR is a lifesaver at times.

03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
RAW is easier to process than JPEG, if and it's a very big "IF", you have the right software. This means either Lightroom or Aperture.
Elements is pretty popular, easy to use, and is under $100.

www.faststone,org has some followers and is free.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.
03-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there are a few points that people have missed here, worth mentioning.

I don't know how this relates to the K5, but for the K7 the maximum continuous shooting frame rate is based upon 10MP*** format JPEFGs, shooting at full resolution will cause filling of the buffer. Similairly, the processing involved i cutting resolution down further (to 6 MP or 2MP) also slows down the processing so much that even though the data transferred is greatly reduced, actual put through capability is hampered.

I won't get into the arguments about RAW and JPEG because those are never ending, but let it sufice that many of the other points about resolution and JPEG vs RAW have been touched upon in the thread already.

At the end of the day, I think RioRico summed it up best. Shoot the format that the results and end user demand.
03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think there are a few points that people have missed here, worth mentioning.

I don't know how this relates to the K5, but for the K7 the maximum continuous shooting frame rate is based upon 10MP*** format JPEFGs, shooting at full resolution will cause filling of the buffer.
The manual says 14Mp and *** (page 143). In Continuous Shooting Hi, you get 5.2 fps for 40 frames before filling the buffer. Continuous Slooting Lo limits you to "only" 3.3 fps but will shoot until the card is full.

QuoteQuote:
Similairly, the processing involved i cutting resolution down further (to 6 MP or 2MP) also slows down the processing so much that even though the data transferred is greatly reduced, actual put through capability is hampered.
That makes sense. It would probably be more useful to use movie mode instead of 2Mp - slightly fewer pixels but way more frames.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I find that in the 16 bit raw files, I can do more in ACR to fill shadows and a bit more to recover near-blown highlights than in jpeg. The fill feature in ACR is a lifesaver at times.
While I'm in pedantic internet geek mode I'll mention that you can do this in the Photoshop Elements version of Adobe Camera RAW too. If you choose to open the file as 16 bit, you can do all the basic exposure adjustments such as fill light in 16 bit. When the file moves on to the Editor, a handful of other operations can be done in 16 bit, but for more extensive editing, you need to convert to 8 bit to use the tools. Although programs like Picasa have a fill light slider, it often operates strictly on 8 bits, where as Gene says, it's not as good.

03-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
While I'm in pedantic internet geek mode I'll mention that you can do this in the Photoshop Elements version of Adobe Camera RAW too. If you choose to open the file as 16 bit, you can do all the basic exposure adjustments such as fill light in 16 bit. When the file moves on to the Editor, a handful of other operations can be done in 16 bit, but for more extensive editing, you need to convert to 8 bit to use the tools. Although programs like Picasa have a fill light slider, it often operates strictly on 8 bits, where as Gene says, it's not as good.
This is my experience also for PSP X3. You can do fundamental exposure corrections in 16 bit, as well as color balance (for WB correction) but almost all other functions are 8 bit.

WHile I appreciate some programs may do a little more in 16 bit format, the amount they do is not critical to the work flow, and without reopening the RAW vs JPEG arguments, except for the one where in the future perhaps more capabilities and better NR routines will be added in 16 bit format, there is not a lot of real advantage to RAW if you take the time to 1) expose properly, and 2) set the WB properly, before you shoot. At least that is my perspective.
03-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can you answer yes to all of the following three questions:
1. I don't want large prints. 20x30cm is fine.
2. I don't do heavy post processing.
3. I have a slow computer.

Then you might enjoy a lower resolution. Picture viewing, copying, emailing etc. is faster and you're not missing anything (re. points 1 and 2).

I played around with my sister's Sony A300 this christmas. They just use it for family snapshots with the popup flash and such. I suggested that she reduce the resolution from 10 to 5mp. She liked that, because as she said "those pictures are *huge*".

Sincerely,
--Anders.
03-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

But when the picture of the year comes along and they want a large print they will struggle.