Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Manual Focus Machine

Hi everyone, I have two questions regarding setting up my k7 for better manual focusing.

I looked into the KPS U-13C eyepiece, there has been much positive reviews on the item, and is currently 58 dollars on ebay. The only concern I have is that it might not fit snugly on the k7. I have not found any post regarding the U-13C on a K7, so I am a bit reluctant to spend so much on an eyepiece only to find out it does not fit properly...

So I guess my first question is: Has anyone tried this eyepiece on the K7? If not, does anyone know if the K7's viewfinder is the same built and dimensions as previous pentax dslrs?

Second part of my post is regarding split focusing screens, I shot many rolls of film on my dad's P30, and would love to have one in my k7. I have read about the katzeye, but the price is a little too steep for me...

Second question! has anyone had good experience with the cheap 20-30 dollar split screen on ebay? or care to make a suggestion on an affordable+decent split focusing screen?

Thanks for reading through my semi long question, any help will be much appreciated!!

03-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The consensus is that a Katzeye is the way to go for a focusing screen, and that the eyepieces are not effective for the majority of people that got them, also taking into account their negative aspects.

So the eyepiece can bring you half way to where you want to go, but you're better off putting that money towards a good screen.

Mind you, some people will disagree with this, but based on the greater majority of people who've posted about this, this seems to be the case.
03-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used jinfinance screens for my k10d and istD and have been satisfied withthem
03-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicZh Quote
...So I guess my first question is: Has anyone tried this eyepiece on the K7? If not, does anyone know if the K7's viewfinder is the same built and dimensions as previous pentax dslrs?
I can interchange eyecups and covers between my K-7 and *ist DS - even my P3n. So although each viewfinder is optically different, they take the same accessories.

QuoteQuote:
Second part of my post is regarding split focusing screens, I shot many rolls of film on my dad's P30, and would love to have one in my k7. I have read about the katzeye, but the price is a little too steep for me...

Second question! has anyone had good experience with the cheap 20-30 dollar split screen on ebay? or care to make a suggestion on an affordable+decent split focusing screen?
It does seem expensive, but I am about to buy my second Katzeye and I am pretty cheap. My logic: the K-7 has the best APS-C viewfinder, which I paid extra for when getting the camera. I'm going to use the screen every time I use the camera. I don't see any specific problem going with a Jinfinance screen; customers seem happy. But I really liked my first Katzeye screen and I feel comfortable spending the extra to get another.

03-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
hmm, my previous response post seems to have gone missing... but

Thanks for the input everyone! now i am even more conflicted.....

Just1MoreDave! just want to make sure...the interchangeable eyecup you are talking about, is it the KPS U-13C? you didn't really mention the name, just wanted to make sure.

As for the split screen, I would like to get a Katzeye, maybe need to wait a little bit for that investment.