Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Pentax K2000 HDR

Hello everyone im new here,
i have a Pentax K2000 i really like HDR but i cant find the option to take 3 or more pictures at different exposures for HDR ,i dont know if my camera is capable and if it is anybody know how to do it?
Thank you.

03-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry but the pentax km/k2000 did not support hdr natively. You can still do hdr by bracketing the exposure. This is the same technique that the newer kx model does. In order to do that clich the info button and goto shooting mode the square box click it and goto the last icon where you see the square box with the +/- on it. Take the same picture 3 times with different exposures and recombine with Photoshop or etc. There you have it hdr.
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Perhaps explained a different way.

You can definitely shoot for HDR with the K2000 but the HDR image cannot be processed in-camera as in some others like the K-7/K-5. You will need to use software such as Photomatix Pro or other program for HDR. It can be done in Photoshop if you have that.

To get the 3 exposures - under, over and right on - you can set the camera for "Auto-bracketing." Use the 4-way controller on the back to change the shot preference. The top button of the 4 which are around the "OK" will open the appropriate menu. Scroll right all the way to the +/- choice for autobracket. You can adjust the amount of +/- compensation with the e-dial. That shows at the bottom of the screen. When you are satisfied, select OK and you are set to shoot with Auto-bracketing. Just remember that everything you shoot will be exposed 3 times so hold the shutter button down through all 3 clicks and hold steady throughout. Remember to change back if you don't want to bracket every shot.

Even if you do not want to do HDR, the auto-bracket feature can help in difficult exposure situations. You can usually count on at least one of the 3 being pretty close to correct. I saw a video of famous photographer Jay Maisel in which he admitted that he often autobrackets his street shots.
03-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If you donít have steady hands you may need to use a tripod. Although Photomatix does a good job of aligning hand held shots, but in severe cases the outcome is not perfect.

Hereís a fairly decent freeware in case you donít have an HDR software. Picturenaut Overview

03-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

most hdr enthusiast appear to like doing the hdr processing using software such as photomatix subsequent to taking the bracketed shots. it allows one to customize the pp to your taste for a particular scene, rather than to accept the limited options within a camera. so don't consider this to be a negative on the camera, i certainly don't.

happy bracketing!
03-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Wow,i've been looking for the auto bracketing thingy for long time but i was looking on the wrong place,Thanks to everyone for your time in replying.

abmj i followed your instructions for this and it worked perfectly thanks alot.
the Jay Maisel trick is very clever i will keep that in mind.

Pentax community is great.