Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash with polarizing filter

I've never actually bothered about this, but I bought a hoya polarizing filter (CPL). Now when I shoot with flash indoors, the photos look really weird. They look too artificial, dark to me and are overall weird compared to photos with no filter. I tried adjusting exposure, but the image wasn't any lighter. I also tried rotating the filter, but it didn't change anything. So I want to ask: Is there any way to get the same pictures indoors with the polarizing filter as without it? It is really annoying to always remove the filter. (I use the built-in flash)

03-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The CPL typically reduces incident light intensity by 1-1.5 stops, even if rotated to remove the polarising effect. If you're shooting with flash in P-TTL mode this shouldn't matter. However, if you're in a manual mode of sorts, then clearly there will be underexposure from what you expect.

Using the popup flash is also thwart with limitations - I'm also doubting that the flash is powerful enough to get the exposure you're after with the filter on. I'd suggest investing in an external flash unit, or remove the filter if you want flash-exposed images.
03-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A polarizing filter is meant more for outdoor use in bright sun light. It's used to reduce glare off of water and other reflective surfaces. I suspect the reason it's ruining your indoor flash shots is it's messing with the White Balance by changing the wavelength of the light passing thru the lens.
03-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Many people claim polarizers make skin look unnatural, even outdoors, due to the reflections it reduces. I did want to try one to see if it could reduce shiny skin, though.

03-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, guys. I found out that if I change the power of the flash to +1 I get almost identical pictures compared to without polarizer. But it'll be probably usefull only in smaller areas. I guess I'll invest in an external flash in the future.
Eruditass: I think it makes portraits a bit better if you have a slow lens and use flash, but yes the skin looks a bit unnatural. And it definitelly reduces any reflections.
03-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then it's likely you've reached the limits of your popup flash. Either boost ISO or increase aperture (smaller f/ number) and you may get better exposures.